Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I suspect I've finally cracked...


I'm contemplating a challenge for 2010.

In my daily blog perusal, I stumbled upon a blogger encouraging a book challenge. To read 100 books in 2010.

100.

One hundred!!!

I had been pretty impressed with my 2009 list of twenty books, but apparently I had set the bar too low. So for the past couple of days, I've been mulling over this idea of reading 100 books in one year. Was it completely insane? Would it kill my love of reading? Would it simply kill me?

I certainly have 100 books that I'd be interested in reading. (Finding things I want to read has never ever been a concern.) However, I started doing a little math. 100 books in 52 weeks basically means two books a week. Yikes. That's a lot of reading. Even if I cut back significantly on my television watching, and find a way to read while showering, that's still going to be pushing it a bit. NavyGuy will be deployed for six months of the year, and I anticipate a lot of quality reading time while he's gone, but there's something to be said for quality over quantity...

So, now I'm thinking maybe 50 would be a more reasonable goal. Still a challenge - a book a week - but potentially doable. What do we think? Have I finally gone off the deep end, or is this an admirable challenge? Anyone willing to accept the challenge with me (setting whatever book goal you think would be appropriate for yourself)? Any major flaws in my plan that I've overlooked?

10 comments:

Anonymous,  December 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

If you're going to do it, do it now before children. I'll be stunned if I finish 5 books this year!

TWP

P.S. My vote's for 50...don't take the fun out of reading!

Sespi December 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

50 sounds doable - go for it! I passed 100 this year, but I think that might have something to do with a cross country road-trip and 6 months of unemployment :)

By the way, how was the Cesar Milan book? I've been thinking of reading it.

NavyGirl December 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Wow Sespi! Very impressive... now I'm feeling like a bit of a slacker for only considering 50 :)

The Cesar Milan book was good. I'm not sure I completely agree with all of his training methods, but the book was well-written and definitely gave me a lot of good info on having a dog as part of your family. There were several chapters devoted to introducing a dog to your baby, or how to include your children in the dog training and care, which I didn't find relevant, but I'm sure others would see as useful. I think he has a new book out specifically about raising a puppy, which might be interesting.

historygirlie December 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

I'll take you up on it. I'll sign up for 30...that new baby on it's way, besdies the crazy 2 year old, makes 50 a bit of a reach, but I figure that no baby can be as good as Kitty was as an infant, so I may be up alot at night this summer....either reading or watching TV.

Do we need to read the same books? perhaps a cross country book club? Maybe some of them should/could be the same?

I"M SO EXCITED!!!!!!! This should be a good time.

(man, doesn't take much for me to get excited, eh?)

let's chat about this!!!!!

historygirlie December 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

I"ll start a list of what I want to read...you do the same. we'll get this off on the right foot....how about "When Everything Changed"? I saw that you got it for Christmas too. (at least I think I did)

keby December 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

I'll join you in the challenge. 50 is going to be a challenge now that I can't read on my daily commute, but I'm always up for a challenge. I may need to hit you up for some book suggestions.

Mrs. Wookie December 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM  

50's very ambitious. I'm shooting for 26. One every 2 weeks. But that's counting in some crazy hours I get to work. Cheers!

Princess of Ales December 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

Okay, okay, let's put this in perspective. You easily read 100 books a year between school and recreational reading. Easily. I am definitely reading more than 100 books per year including school, etc. The difference is that you can choose the books and read whatever you like. I think you can do it if you want to. I'm in for sure.

ebs handler December 31, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

What about kiddy lit? I can suggest some of the recent goodies that you "grew out of" before they were published. Quickies, but still quality. As for me, my wisdom with age tells me that any kind of a resolution is only a ticket to failure. Sleep, exercise, home maintenance, g'parent maintenance, plus all of the school reading that is required (not always too interesting!) is plenty on my plate. I don't need the guilt of letting all of my Saturday jobs go by the wayside so that I can finish this week's book.
Can't wait to hear the reviews!

Sespi December 31, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

Maybe I'll skip that one and find the new book about puppies. Sounds like it could be pretty relevant -- we just got a puppy and she wants to chew up everything!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP