Friday, November 6, 2009

Newlywed Series: Half-Empty or Half-Full?

Are you an optimist or pessimist? What about your husband? How does this affect your relationship?

Neither of us lands clearly on one end or the other of the optimism/pessimism spectrum. I would definitely say that NavyGuy is more cynical and skeptical, whereas I am usually more trusting and naive. However, we seem to balance each other out in when it comes to attitudes. If I'm pessimistic about a situation or outcome, NavyGuy boosts my confidence and points out the positive; when the tables are turned, I find the silver lining. The fact that we both span the spectrum is fabulous for our relationship because then neither of us has to constantly feel like we're pulling the other down out of the clouds or up from the depths.

What about you? Can you or your significant other be defined as an optimist or pessimist? What impact does that have on your relationship?

2 comments:

historygirlie November 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

I don't know about Optimist or Pessimist, but we definitely have the Realist (Farmer) and the wild dreamer (me). He's always asking "why?" and I'm saying "why not?"

It's almost always great, but sometimes we reach an unmountable impasse.

Cable TV, for instance. :)

KAAlan November 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

I would say I'm the optimist and my husband is more pessimistic. I think we actually don't even each other out at all, but motivate the other into action based on the feelings that let to the sentiment. If I'm down about something, he'll acknowledge that there's a reason why an optimist would be pissed so he'll help me find a solution. If he's excited about something, I know he must really love the idea and I really get behind it with him... and so on. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP