Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wedding Karma

While I was shopping on Thursday, I ended up going to Hobby Lobby twice.  The first time, I bought 50 sheets of cardstock for the wedding programs.  A young girl rang up my purchases, and with the paper being 29 cents each, I was expecting to fork over around $20 (I had a few other items in the mix as well).  Lo and behold, she asked me for $9 and some change.

I thought it seemed odd, but I went with it.  Maybe I hadn't noticed sale signs by the paper or something.  So I took my bags and headed for the car.  I went on to the next errand, but kept thinking back to the Hobby Lobby purchase.

Finally, I checked the receipt.  Dang.  The girl had charged me for 5 sheets of paper instead of 50.  

And then, the moral conundrum began...

Angel on one Shoulder: You know you need to go back to Hobby Lobby and fix this.

Devil on the other Shoulder: But it's not your fault that the sales girl goofed!

Angel: The right thing to do is correct the mistake and pay for the 45 sheets of paper that you basically stole from the Hob Lob.

Devil: But that's at least $10 you've saved, and every penny counts now that we're getting this close to the wedding.

Angel: If you don't take that paper back and fix this mistake, it WILL rain on your wedding day.

And so, of course, I took the paper back, coughed up the correct amount of money, and convinced myself that my moral act will spare me from any precipitation come wedding day. I'd feel foolish admitting this, except when I told my mother the story, she said the "it will rain on your wedding day line" before I even finished the story... so clearly I come by my superstitions honestly.  Anyone else feel a little superstitious about the big day?

2 comments:

Princess of Ales May 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

My superstitions don't center around karma so much, but around "if you say something, it will come true." Therefore I never actually said the word "rain" as it pertained to my own wedding until it was over. Or, if I did, I knocked on wood. Every time. I'm a psycho, but these things are FAR too important to take lightly. Lately I've been doing that about...oh, wait...can't say it. No wood nearby.

Anonymous,  May 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

That's not an angel on your shoulder...it's 27 years of motherly comments swirling around your brain. At least that's what it is for me : )

As my mother always says: "It's like the police officer always says, 'if it doesn't feel right, don't do it'".

To mothers!

TWP

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP