Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Book Challenge

I've made my decision on the book challenge.
Bring. It. ON!

Yup, I'm going for it. Well, I have been going for it since Friday, but I've been too busy reading to blog about it :) Despite NavyGuy's protestations, and demands that he create the rules for the challenge (and thus name himself "Book Challenge Commissioner"), I am instituting the following guidelines for myself for the year:
1. Read (and finish) 50 books by 11:59pm, December 31st, 2010.

2. Any category of books is acceptable - fiction, nonfiction, mystery, young adult lit - except picture books.

3. Books on CD are also acceptable. (If you can read in the car without getting ill, more power too you.)

4. I do not need to "pre-list" which books I'm going to read. That's dull. And doesn't allow for the kind of flexibility I require.

5. Crossover books (aka, books I have to read for some other purpose... i.e. grad program) count.

That's it. Basically, try to read 50 books in the year 2010. Ideally, the challenge will a) encourage me to read more, b) encourage me to turn off the tv, c) allow me to actually get through more of the unread books I have on my bookshelves, d) give me bragging rights over NavyGuy (always a plus). (If only I could get Pizza Hut sponsorship and score a free pizza "Book-It" style for every five books I read, then I'd really be motivated!)

So anyway, I'm off and running reading. Right now I'm reading two books.* They're both dog books that NavyGuy and I have received as gifts in the past month.
Now it's your turn - who's accepting the challenge with me? Obviously, you can choose whatever goal number you want, and amend any of the guidelines as necessary, but let me know what you're shooting for!

You'll notice a new link list in the right sidebar ("What Should I Read Next?") where I'm going to keep a compilation of book possibilities. Each title will link to the book's Amazon page so you can check out the title and see if it's something that might interest you. Some are ones I already own and have been meaning to read, some are ones friends have suggested, and some are just random titles that grab me. Always feel free to comment or email with suggestions and I'll do my best to keep the list updated... so no one can use the excuse that they can't find anything good to read! And as soon as I get my first book of the year done, you all will be the first to know :)

*I've quickly discovered that reading several books at once is going to be key to my success. The reasoning is twofold: 1) if I have several books going at once, I can leave them strategically throughout the house and therefore always have a book within reach (one upstairs, one downstairs, one in the car for during breaks at work, one in the bathroom... oh don't judge, you know you do it too!). The second reason is that a major downfall to my reading is I tend to get bogged down in a book; if it's not grabbing my attention right away, then I dawdle my way through it - and I ain't got time to play that game this year if I'm gonna reach the magic number. So, if one book is slowing me down, then I can take breaks with some of the other options I have going.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  January 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Count me in! I'm pumped!

keby January 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Awesome! I'm in! I'm looking forward to seeing your recommendations.

historygirlie January 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I'm in, but I'm in for 30 as my goal. I'd be amazed if I read 50.

A few suggestions:

Mother in the Middle
The White Queen: P. Gregory (did you already?)
Street Gang: the history of Sesame Street (ok, this one is on my list)

I'll get more suggestions to you soon as I can. :)

historygirlie January 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

YOU! read Gone with the Wind! Margaret Mitchell! Get going! It's a long one!

ALso, can we reread books that we love, or are we going with ones that are a first time around? Let me know, oh fearless leader.

Rearden January 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Fearless leader, now there's a scary thought.

Rearden January 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

I take it none of you girls would like any suggestions from me as to books to read?

Rearden January 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Ok, well, since my wife just shouted at me from the other room that she would in fact like suggestions from me here's one: "The Tomb" by F. Paul Wilson

C January 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Count me in too! But given my new found love for running/cooking (yes Mom, still your daughter), I think 25 is a lofty goal for me, and still high enough to cut out plenty of tv.

Brother-in-law wants to know how many law cases read equal one book - ten, twenty? (Keep in mind, this is painful reading.)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP