Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Night Movie Night

I do not - and will not ever - understand my husband's obsession and unconditional love for Star Wars. I've seen the film several times now, and I just cannot understand the appeal. The whole "force" thing is kinda cool, and yeah okay, light sabers - woot - and I suppose Harrison Ford helps, but really? Is it because I didn't see it as a young child and therefore don't have the unexplainable, nostalgic, sentimental connection to it (like I do to say, Goonies, Harry and the Hendersons, Flight of the Navigator, and The Little Mermaid)? Clearly, it's a popular movie with tons of followers, but I just can't get psyched about it. Don't get me wrong - I don't hate it. I just don't get the fanatical love that boys of a certain age seem to have for it.

Exhibit A: How I Met Your Mother, Ted and his new girlfriend discuss Star Wars



Exhibit B: HIMYM, after Ted's girlfriend has seen Star Wars for the first time



Am I alone here? I think I may really have something going though with my theory of "cult movies you didn't seen a zillion times as a child don't hold up well 20 years down the road"... (I'll give you another personal example - didn't see The Never-Ending Story until college... what's all the fuss about? It's WEIRD!) C'mon, who's with me? Which of you will admit to having no inclination to bust out your VHS copy of Return of the Jedi just cuz of reading this post? Are there any cult films that peeps our age are nutty about that you have no love for?

P.S. I wrote this thing on Saturday night movie night... as we were watching Star Wars. Cuz that's how we roll on a Saturday night.

5 comments:

Rearden January 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Ah, Star Wars. To this day, I still feel weird when I watch Return of the Jedi without first watching Mary Poppins, since they were on the same beta tape we had when I was a kid and I never wanted to fast forward through Mary Poppins to find Jedi, even when I was far too old to really want to watch Mary Poppins.

Mrs. Wookie January 10, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

Mr. Wookie is an avid fan of Star Wars. "Let the Wookiee win" shirts, wookiee "action figures," literature, soundtracks, ringtones, calendars, computer features, everything minus some underwear (which sounds like I must change for his sake).

And let's understand his name also. In high school, he perfected the Chewbacca cry...now he's known as Wookie. Or Wook. Since high school. We're adults now. So, times don't change, just FYI.

And I don't mind watching them at all. They're entertaining.

Just don't start Mr. Wookie and his father on a quoting bender. They'll take hours quoting scenes from Star Wars. And I haven't found therapy for this one yet.

historygirlie January 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

I don't get people's obsession with Star Wars either, and when the kids at KHS find out, the boys are always repulsed by that fact. I just dont.get.it. and....Who Cares? I feel very whoopie-fizz about the whole series.

Another one from childhood that I don't get but others seem to love?
The Labrynth, with David Bowie and some crazy muppets. Also, The Princess Bride. Neither of these trip my trigger, but people of a certain age (25-32) are appalled with my lack of caring.

My loves from childhood: Adventures in Babysitting. and Wayne's World. And A League of their Own. I could watch each of them over and over and over.

keby January 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

I'm with NavyGuy on this one. I love Star Wars. I think I've watched it 50 gazillion times. For awhile, it was all I watched when I was home sick from school. I can't quite explain why I love the movies so much, except that I do. I just may have to watch The Empire Strikes Back today.

I still haven't watched The Never-Ending Story, so I'm going to trust your judgment on that one.

By the way, I like how you guys roll on a Saturday night. B & I are the same way. Last night, we went to the movie theater instead of staying home and watching movies.

Princess of Ales January 10, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

Though this rarely happens, I'm with NavyGuy on this one, too. But I have minor to major obsessions with everyone's lists - Neverending Story (help us Bastian, you're our only hope...), The Princess Bride (ROUS's? Rodents of Unusual Size), Adventures in Babysitting (SO GOOD! A very young Vincent DiNofrio as Thor.), A League of Their Own (Hey, cowgirls. See the grass? Don't eat it.), Wayne's World (schwing!) and most especially Star Wars. I would like to add the original (NOT recent) Indiana Jones movies, and all the musicals my grandparents owned. P.S. NavyGuy, the Mary Poppins thing makes me love you more.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP