Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Study Says Women with Mate Get Heavier

And I finally have justification for blaming NavyGuy for my increased volume since May 23, 2009...

From The New York Times

Published: January 4, 2010

It is widely known that women tend to gain weight after giving birth, but now a large study has found evidence that even among childless women, those who live with a mate put on more pounds than those who live without one...

Click here for the rest of the story.

I've heard this information before, with complaints from recently married women, and I can testify that I'm now one of them, irritated that my newlywed bliss is being weighed down (literally) by some extra poundage.

But why? The article doesn't give much in the way of analysis or explanation for their findings. The article points out that, "there is no reason to believe that having a partner causes metabolic changes," so it must be some kind of behavioral change. Why does living with a boy make us girls gain a few pounds? Do we subconsciously (or consciously) let ourselves go a little once we get that ring on our finger? Do our eating habits change? Do we exercise less and spend more time snuggling on the couch watching marathons of House? Or is there some other phenomenon going on?

What do we think ladies (and gentlemen)? Do you agree with the premise that women tend to gain weight once they're happily coupled/co-habitating/married? Got any theories as to why this seems to happen?

9 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

I blame the hub's eating habits: Pizza, pizza, pizza.

Brooklet January 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

No theories here...although I'm interested to hear other theories! I maintained the exact same weight from 8th grade, all through high school and college, and several years after college. I didn't gain or lose weight at all. Since I've been married, I've put on 15 pounds :-(. Its really pretty depressing to me.

historygirlie January 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

I think it's because of the ring factor. We caught them; there's no super duper pressure to impress them anymore. They are ours until death. As long as you still look pretty good when you get dressed up (and strapped into your SPANX until you can't breathe), you're good.

Plus, in the dating age, you don't want them to see you naked AND pudgy....just naked and HOT. (except NavyWife, Queen Mum. Maverick saw only a bit of respectable ankle and perhaps a daring bit of elbow) but once they're stuck with you in their bed, what does it matter if you have a bit of pudge and some hair on your legs? :)

keby January 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

I blame it on the stress of getting married. I couldn't eat anything for a couple of months before my wedding. After words, I didn't have any issues eating.

Mrs. Wookie January 7, 2010 at 2:06 AM  

My Brother/SIL each gained 15+ lbs after their wedding. But they weren't super active people anyway. So I just blamed it on the ring factor - they just don't need to put in effort anymore.

I, however, am a cohabiting female and would like to say I've maintained an average of 5-lb difference in my almost-year of cohabitativeness (word?). I blame it on my can-be-very-stressful job. Because pre-CBVS job, I worked out like normal. Now, I work out when I can.

But I, too, don't like the sounds of packing on poundage just because you get a signed piece of government paper declaring access to lower taxes. Boo.

ebs handler January 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM  

So what's my reason? No ring. No cohabitativeness (love new words!) HistoryGirlie, thanks for the visual. I'm certain my future grandchildren will be the next Immaculate Conceptions!

Mrs. Wookie January 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

Hahahaha, I love how my new word has caught on. Does this mean English Degree holders can make up new words? :D

Mrs. Wookie January 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

I just found this article on CNN.com and thought it was appropriate to post the link to since this discussion was had a few days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/08/tracyanderson.women.weight.fitness/index.html

NavyGirl January 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Thanks for the link Mrs. Wookie!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP