Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Weather Rant


I have lost all patience with this nonsense.

Yesterday, I got home from work and decided to take Tally for a walk. We had a nice stroll through the neighborhood and even ventured up into the woods for some off-roading. Doesn't that sound like a nice picture? An adorable puppy dog and a woman in a short sleeve t-shirt and jeans taking in the late morning air... I'll wait. Go ahead and reread that sentence. Um, yeah.

I went for a walk yesterday - January 20th - in a short-sleeve t-shirt. SHORT SLEEVES! SHORT SLEEVES!!! No mittens, no hat, no scarf, no boots, no freezing boogers in my nose. No frost-bitten fingers, no blustery wind, no snow, no ice, no jacket. No material covering my forearms!

That was the last straw. I want seasons back. Where the hell is winter? I am sick to death of spring weather in January. I know I know - most of you readers have been mired in frigid temps and snowy winter for months, so how dare I complain about our 50 degree days. But seriously - this is ridiculous. January should not feel the same as April, June, and October! I've worn the same clothing for the past year. There's no switching out summer clothes for winter clothes; you just add or take off a raincoat depending on the hour of the day. There's no rush of excitement when the temps reach 40 and it's starting to feel like winter may be reaching it's end. There's no scorching, humid summer day when your butt is sweating and your makeup is melting off your face, and you find an air-conditioned place that provides a solace like no other. There's no joy in the first crisp fall day when you get to pull out your favorite sweater and have some soul-warming oatmeal for breakfast.

I haven't decided on a course of action yet... but something must be done...

6 comments:

Carlene,  January 21, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

Consider yourself lucky. I'm still here in Pcola, also in short-sleeves. It was in the 30s all last week. And next week it'll be in the 80s. I'm praying my CG-man gets stationed in Astoria OR or Port Angeles WA next!

Keah S January 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

Apparently there's a strong El Nino right now, which is totally screwing up the west coast. I'm sure you'll have a more brutal winter next year. Meanwhile, I hear Vancouver doesn't have any snow to ski on for the Olympics! Luckily they are able to ship some in. Maybe you should hire the same company to dump some snow on your front lawn? :)

historygirlie January 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

Take it, Mugs. Take it. It's so cold and dry and windy here that my hands are cracked in what seems 70 different places. I'd love no book, hat, mitties, boots, snowpants, hoods, blankies, crying baby when the wind hits her face.

Gah. Winter in WI.

Rearden January 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

Save it, dear. You'd complain as soon is it got below 50 about it being too cold.

ebs handler January 22, 2010 at 3:55 AM  

Come to WI in February. I'll leave the shovel out with your name on it! AND the red and black afghan is MINE! See you soon.

Rearden January 22, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Called your bluff there, Ms. Handler ;) Now lets see if she actually picks up a shovel when she's there.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP