Monday, February 1, 2010

Dinners, Sans Hubby

While NavyGuy's off playing war games (and losing us money), I'm enjoying my chance to eat some meals that he wouldn't necessarily deem suitable for human consumption. Like a box of frozen chicken empanada appetizers. (Judge me not.)

Last night's menu was my own recipe: Frito Taco Nachos. What? What's that you say? Your stomach is growling and your mouth is watering at just the name? But of course. Just wait for the ingredients! (Many of you will probably recognize this as a walking taco, but hear me out.)

You pile Fritos Scoops on a plate. I recommend the "scoops" variety for reasons forthcoming. Then cook up some hamburger and season it with a taco seasoning packet. Then, pile the hamburger on top of the Fritos, and add cheese, lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, or any other taco accessories you enjoy. Grab a stack of napkins and dig in! The scoops make nice little boats for all the taco-y goodness. If you're a real fan of nachos, you could melt nacho cheese and layer that on as well, but I prefer to focus on the meat aspect.

While I find this perfectly acceptable as a dinner, NavyGuy would likely have balked. Other meals I enjoy for dinner that he may question...?

- a bag of popcorn

- two or three bowls of cereal

- any breakfast food (with chocolate chips added for fun)

- taco dip and chips

- couscous

- bagels with peanut butter

and last but not least, cheerios and ice cream. (Separately of course. Don't be ridiculous.)

Time to 'fess up - what weird meal do you love that you can't possibly convince your significant other to consume?

6 comments:

Michelle February 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

Glad I am not the only one with a "standard menu" when the husband is home and a "deployment menu" when he is gone. Who wants to cook when there is no one to impress? =)

Mrs. Wookie February 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

Oh how sad is this that I agree with you completely/know exactly what you're talking about for when I have Mr.Wookie home and when not.

But to answer your question...

- breakfast (french toast, pancakes, eggs and bacon, etc) is my favorite go-to

- then there's Honey Nut Cheerios

- frozen casseroles from Dear Ol' Mom

- beer

- Qdoba/Machismo/fast food-burrito place

historygirlie February 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

McDonald's Drive Thru (big macs..mmmm....)

Those cheapy Totino's pizzas or, even better, Geno's pizzas.

Chic'n and Cheeze nuggets (quite possibly the fakiest chicken ever...but so tasty)

Pizza rolls

crackers and cream cheese (or any spreadable cheese, but cream is the best)

chip n dip

(this menu actually makes me want to be home alone at supper time)

NavyGirl February 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Oooo, pizza rolls! I forgot about those!

Rearden February 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

Oh, and btw, I want it noted that I actually made money gambling, not lost it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP