Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My baby's growing up!

Saturday was a big day for Tally (and a sad one for her mama). It was her first day of school.

(She refused to wear her backpack in her first day of school photo on the front porch, but I'll photo-shop it in eventually.)


Many of you are likely wondering what in the world I'm taking about. Well, Tally pup has gone off to boarding school, or summer camp if you will. She's currently three hours away at an obedience and hunt training school. Even though it means Tally will be away from us for three months or so, NavyGuy sold me on the idea with lots of sound logic and reasoning (I hate when he does that - irritates me to no end.).

Tally is at the prestigious Ivy League academy known as the Long Hollow Retrievers Dog Training, where she'll learn to become a talented bird hunting dog, and a well-behaved, people-pleasing, even more adorable puppy. (I didn't read the specifics of the brochure.) And of course, per life with the Navy, it fell to me alone to drive her the 3.5 hours away (the trainer is in Ellensburg, WA, east of Seattle).

So Saturday we set out early, me in the driver's seat, Tally buckled into the passenger seat. She has become such a good little traveler; while I navigated and listened to my book on CD, she curled up and rode like a champ.

We stopped for lunch at Burger King, and Tally had her first french fry. (It was a road trip afterall - what kind of road trip have you ever taken that didn't include french fries?)


(Ooooo. I don't know what that is, but I am intrigued...)

She scarfed it down (and hopefully that small bribe will be what she remembers about her mama... instead of the fact that I was the one who ditched her at school for three months).

We arrived at the school right on time, and the trainer, Ryan, was outside to meet us. He seemed like a very solid kindergarten teacher, and he showed me Tally's bunk (as it were). She gets her own fenced-in area, and because she's still a puppy, she'll get extra play time. I panicked slightly when I saw another black lab that Ryan said was also Tally's age... the other dog was twice as big! Tiny Tally is gonna get eaten! Even Ryan took one look at Tally in the car, and was, "oh, she's a little squirt... what a cutie!" Both true statements, but he better keep a watchful eye on his littlest student... (Yes, I'm a nervous helicopter puppy parent already - I've made my peace with it and it's high time the rest of you did as well.)

So now I'm temporarily husband-less and puppy-less. No cute little face waiting for me at the door when I come home. No puppy sitting on my feet at night keeping them warm. Sad face. It's very tough to think rationally and know that we're doing what's best for Tally pup (and the rest of us) in getting her trained and well-behaved... when I just want to snuggle with her! (Consider this post your personal invitation to my pity party, no RSVP necessary. Gifts are not required, but are always encouraged.)

The only solace at the moment is that NavyGuy comes home this weekend, and we can go visit Tally every couple of weeks. Is this weekend too soon? I don't want to embarrass her in front of her new friends at school. Maybe I should just send a care package...

5 comments:

Rearden February 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

She'll be fine, and learn lots while she's gone. Good little puppy.

ebs handler February 3, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Did you remember to include a picture of Mommy and Daddy in her backpack? Grandma might just have to send a few treats as well.

historygirlie February 3, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

Ok, enough with the weepy posts. Your preggo-emo-emotional friend in WI can NOT handle this anymore...

First...potty training not going well....NOW....Tally goes to summer camp....

I need a tissue.....

Anonymous,  February 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

Please tell me the dog will be back before NavyGuy deploys! If not, I'll start stock piling the valentine M & M's now!!!!

TWP

NavyGirl February 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

TWP - Puppy will be gone for about a month, to a month and a half of NavyGuy's deployment. Yes, I'm dreading it. Yes, gallons of M&Ms will be consumed.

HG - Sorry for all the emotion! I thought Kitty was doing so well with the potty training :( Maybe M&Ms as incentive...? They work on big girls and little girls :)

Mom - No, I forgot to include a picture!!! Now she'll definitely forget what we look like!!!! Damn, rookie mistake.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP