Monday, July 21, 2008

Crying Babies and Spilled... Champagne

Whew - what a busy few days! I am officially back in Northern Territory, and there's nary a sweet tea in sight.

Before I left Pensacola, NavyGuy and I taste-tested a tapas restaurant downtown. Tapas are great - they're basically small appetizer style portions that you share with everyone at the table. So, you don't have to choose just one thing on the menu (in fact, we chose four); and, if you don't like something you ordered, well there's only a little bit of it. This restaurant, The Global Grill, was excellent - they didn't even mind that I knocked over my $8 glass of champagne! (As always, "you can dress me up..."). Our tapas for the evening included: Shrimp and Seared Beef Crostini with Robust Tomato & Basil, Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Chorizo Gravy, Lamb Lollipops, Israeli Couscous Cake and Sun Dried Tomato Au Jus, and the special of the night, Shrimp and Scallop Seviche. Truth be told, as good as they all were, my favorite was dessert: Gooey Centered Spanish Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream - yummo! We definitely have a new special occasion restaurant in Pensacola. [Editor's Note: Do not mistake this as evidence that I am at all growing to like Pensacola.]

My flight home Sunday morning left as the arse-crack of dawn, so I was less than chipper upon arriving at the airport and being manhandled through the security line (which, by the way, should be segregated into categories based on your flight experience and general common sense; the man ahead of me in line couldn't understand why he was making the sensor beep... until he took his cell phone out of his pants pocket... humanity). Upon boarding however, the trip swung upward. Long story short, a crying baby and overbooked seat across the aisle got me bumped up to first class! Whoo hooooo!! Bring on the good snacks (Milano cookies, anyone?), and the wide open expanses (I sat crossleggeded in my seat the entire time, just because I could).

Additional events from the past two days:

~ Mom and I saw Mama Mia! and I've now decided I either need to vacation in Greece, or at least buy the soundtrack. It was absurd and campy and just what I needed as I brace for the coming wedding.

~ Visited the dear Farmer Wife in Appleton. Her brilliant 8 month old daughter (Baby A) hung out with us while we gossiped, and I got the latest crop news and fair reports (she's entering a plethora of veggies, breads, and even hand towels in the county fair this week - many blue ribbons are expected).

~ Discovered a neat trick from Payless Shoe Stores - if they do not have your size in stock, they will find a store in the area that does, AND give you a three dollar off coupon for the inconvenience of having to go to the other store. Score!

So, what have we learned today? Well, #1) There's another reason to love Payless. #2) There's no use crying over spilled champagne. And #3) Once in a blue moon, it's a gift to have a crying baby on an airplane :)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP