Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Movie Reviews

As I did very little of note today (minus the nice phone conversations with friends), I thought today's post would be well spent reviewing a few movies I have seen recently. Now, I know you can get the reviews of an actual movie critic, but I'd like to think my reviews have a little something special :)

Wanted
(Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy)
I was mostly interested in James McAvoy (hottie from Atonement), and not so much the plot of this film. It turned out slightly better than expected however. Above average summer popcorn flick, with the requisite shots of Jolie exiting a bathtub, but solid plot, jokes, and the godly Morgan Freeman. I would consider this an even trade for making NavyGuy go see Sex and the City. So ladies, if you're angling to go see The Second Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants later in the summer, offer to go see this one with your guy.

Wall-E
(Pixar)
Why didn't I buy stock in Pixar years ago? Once again, Pixar scores with a great plot, inventive music, amazing visuals, and highly engaging characters. The little robot Wall-E is adorable, and overall the movie sends a good message without being too preachy. I especially loved the "Hello, Dolly" references, and the fact that NavyGuy is still walking around the house saying "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Hancock
(Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman)
I do not care what Will Smith is staring in on Fourth of July weekend - I'm there. If he takes his shirt off, I'm probably there twice. Hancock is another good popcorn movie, but Will Smith's humor is a little less Men in Black, and a little more edgy. He plays a drunk, sarcastic, bitter superhero, who has no problem dropping a car full of criminals on top of a building. Best line: Hancock (to an over-nourished kid and a another with glasses after they've witnessed him throw the neighborhood bully 10,000 feet up in the air): "How 'bout you thickness? Goggles?" Okay, so perhaps Smith's delivery adds something, but I found it hilarious.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP