Sunday, July 6, 2008

Today's Craft Project

My sister's wedding is rapidly approaching (T-minus 20 days and counting...), and as the unemployed (aka bored and available to do manual labor) member of the bridal party, I offered to make the rehearsal dinner invitations. I modeled them after the actual wedding invite, and stayed within the bride's red/black/white color scheme. Hopefully the "client" approves!

In other news, I have managed to get NavyGuy hooked on The Wire, the HBO drama set in Baltimore that portrays the drug, crime, and criminal justice scene with scary accuracy (according to my former Baltimore sources). It is certainly not for the faint of heart, considering that the language would make the late George Carlin blush, and its topic matter is definitely eye-opening; however, it is brilliant. The writers manage to evoke empathy for drug dealers and crack addicts, while telling a compelling and addictive story. What other show can feature a dealer teaching his underlings how to play chess, by equating the pieces with the people in his drug empire? It's wonderful. And it makes me 4 for 4 with getting NavyGuy hooked on television shows that I suggest (the others being Friends, Bones, and Ace of Cakes). [Full disclosure - it was my sister and future brother-in-law who got me hooked on The Wire, so I cannot take all the credit for finding this gem.] Given my earlier admission of unemployment, feel free to offer suggestions of other TV series that I should catch up on...

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP