Tuesday, August 4, 2009

#498

Another busy day...

~ It started very early with a shift at the Food Ave, where I managed to spill a co-worker's mint tea all over some shelving in the backroom. Whoops. Luckily, she was pretty cool about it. And the backroom smelled minty fresh for most of the morning.

~ Since I'm a food worker now, I had to get my food handler's permit from the county. After one wrong turn at the Mt. Vernon courthouse (where I managed to set off the metal detector twice... sunglasses on the top of head, hair clip in my back pocket), I found the Health Department and sat down to watch a riveting thirty minute video about food safety. Can you tell me the temperature at which cold foods must be kept below? Cuz I can tell you.* Cuz it was definitely stated in the video like sixty-seven times. I impressed the health worker with my speedy test-taking skills after the video ended (100% correct baby!), and coughed up $10 to walk away with a card proclaiming me "Food Handling Certified."

~ Then it was off to the title company to pick up the closing paperwork for the house. We're, I mean, I'm closing on the house Thursday morning, and NavyGuy wanted a lawyer to check out the paperwork ahead of time (considering I told him several times before he left, "I want the house, I will simply sign anything they put in front of me without reading a word"... it was probably a good move on his part.) So drop the papers with lawyer, drop comforter and pillow shams at the dry cleaners, pick up Cheerios at the grocery store (not a single box left at home!), then hit the bank to get a check for the highest sum of money I've ever contemplated in my life. Thank goodness the teller actually filled out the info for the cashier's check, because I'm certain my hand would have started twitching uncontrollably if I had to write the down payment total... yeeeaaooowza! Back to the title company with the check, and then finally home.

~ More packing and cleaning. Two more wedding gifts arrived, which I'm super grateful for because a) it means two more Thanksgiving guests can eat off of nice plates in November, and b) it gave me another large box to use for packing. However, it also gave me two more items to pack... slight perspective for you - from our bedroom alone, I've packed 18 file folder boxes of books. 18. There's more books in the livingroom and garage, and again, that's just books. I haven't even ventured into the closet to deal with the obscene amount of clothing and computer cables. I think our motto for the new house is going to be, "one item in, TEN items out!"

Now I'm watching TiVo'ed episodes of Bones and trying to decide if I want to continue packing/cleaning, or call it a night and resume the battle in the morning. The next few days are going to be equally hectic because I have work, closing on the house, and then Thursday evening I'm flying down to San Francisco to meet up with Sister and Mom!!! We've got a jam-packed weekend of activities, and I'm super excited, but... I still need to do laundry, pack, and deal with all of the house stuff. Oh, and did I mention that TWP and her daughter are arriving for a visit next week Tuesday? Yeah, I know - maybe in the future I should consult a calendar before scheduling every major event within two weeks of each other... while NavyGuy is gone and totally unavailable to help with anything! But I can't help it - who would pass up a weekend with their family, and then a week with one of their BFFs and goddaughter?!?!? Thank goodness for my recent coffee addiction to keep me going... ;)

*Cold foods must be kept below 41 degrees. You're welcome.

7 comments:

keby August 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM  

It was both our day for spilling things. I was trying to replace the water jug for the water cooler at work and dropped the 5 gallon jug of water. It cracked in half and sent water everywhere including the cube across the hall, the carpet and the copy room on the other side of the wall. Let me tell you 5 gallons is a lot of water!

Good luck with closing on your new house and seeing your family this weekend.

ebs handler August 5, 2009 at 5:23 AM  

One more day until a house and San Fran! So on a scale of 1 -10, how does "Food Handling" compare to "Bloodborne Pathogens?" You just became even more valuable in a national emergency!

TannyP August 5, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

Wow! What a day!!

And thanks for the temp =) I'll keep that in mind should I ever decide to cook. HAHA

Teresa Kline August 5, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

thanks for the info, have a wonderful day!

enjoy *~*

Cheryl Walker August 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

Congratulations on your food handlers permit!!! sorry to hear about the spill, but sounds like everything turned out fine:) lol

Hugs,
Cheryl

Anonymous,  August 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

I now know that the fridge section of our refrigirator is up to code and standards at a steady 38 degrees.

NavyGirl August 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Wow people... had I know you were so interested in random food safety information I would have been sharing more of it all along!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP