Monday, August 24, 2009

Ah, life

When there are park rangers and road flares before nine a.m., it's going to be one of those days.


NavyGuy's car died as he was driving to work. The alternator pooped out and he was stranded on one of the curvy backroads between Anacortes and base, so I got a phone call around 7 (and there goes my day to sleep in). He needed to get down to base for a test, so I picked him up, dropped him off on base, and then returned to the stranded car to wait for the tow truck to show up.

When I returned to the car, a local park ranger was checking out the abandoned car. After I assured him that a tow truck was on the way, he proceeded to line the road with red flares to warn approaching cars that NavyGuy's vehicle was not 100% off of the road. (We had tried to push it, but there was no moving it.) No chance of remaining under the radar now that the road flares were involved... every car slowed down to stare at me in my oversized sweatpants, faded fraternity sweatshirt, and flip flops... especially once the tow truck driver arrived and asked me to help divert traffic around the car. Yup, I became a human road flare on Rosario Drive - all my dreams are complete now.

NavyGuy's car should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon. Apparently we'll be getting a new alternator instead of new curtains for the bedroom...

2 comments:

Brooklet August 25, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh because I'm having car problems with both of our cars now, and one needs a new alternator, so I do understand that this is not funny. However, I just got an image of you directing traffic and laughed out loud. I think I would have died if that was me!

Anonymous,  August 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I'd like to think this was all a joke, but now that I've seen where you live, I believe it's all painfully true. One more thing to add to your resume: traffic cop!

TWP

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP