Monday, February 23, 2009

Dressing a Pregnant Bridesmaid

My Maid of Honor (MOH) is going to be eight months pregnant at the wedding.  Until Saturday, I had been having recurring nightmares of having to send her down the aisle looking like this:





(I know, seriously!?!?  You have to hope this is a joke, and yet...)

So, the bridesmaid dresses that I chose (I picked two different styles to give the girls an option) were clearly picked without the idea that they would need to accommodate a belly bump.

Option 1: Strapless trumpet skirt

Option 2: Boat Neck A-Line

Both dresses will be latte colored (the brown color in the second option) and knee length, with a champagne colored sash.  Neither dress has an empire waist, which would be the ideal cut for a maternity formal gown.  Bless her heart, my MOH ordered the boat necked dress and hoped that the seamstress at David's Bridal would be able to work some magic.

Because I love her, I won't post the photo of MOH in the dress.  She looked... well... there's not a nice way to describe it.  Basically, a graduation gown or latte colored toga would have looked better.  So, on Saturday, MOH, my mom, MOH's mom, and I went to David's to figure out a solution.

Unfortunately, there weren't many other satin fabric style dresses to choose from, and I was very hesitant to find a dress in a different fabric.  Luckily, the dress gods smiled down on us, and we were able to a) find a close friend in town who offered to make MOH's dress in a maternity style similar to the other 'maids, and b) order the exact same latte satin fabric from David's Bridal, so the girls dresses will all coordinate.  I would totally recommend this route for other pregnant bridesmaids.  The material from David's was very reasonably priced (2 yards for $25).  It was a little stressful, and we had to deal with some odd exchange policies at David's, but the material is ordered, we have a pattern, and I have uber confidence in the new dressmaker.  My girls are going to look so chic!  I can't wait to see how it all comes together.  

2 comments:

Anonymous,  February 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

HAHAHA - Mugs, have you SEEN the rest of that email, entitled 'Prom in the Hood?!'

Absolutely ridiculous, and yet, for real.

About this blog March 3, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

Whoaa ... that is a scary pic! Not the look I expect many brides will be hoping for.

Sounds like you found a great solution for your MOH.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP