Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Monday

NavyGuy returned late last night from his "boneyard" trip, and now we're quickly prepping for his winging ceremony this Thursday. Winging for a naval aviator or flight officer is the equivalent of college graduation - except you get to wear a way better outfit, and most of these guys (and girls) have actually studied and worked extremely hard (unlike the performance of some of them... cough cough... NavyGuy... in college). Many of NavyGuy's family members are coming for this, and that means my weekend was spent frantically trying to clean a house that used to cage three boys.

I will spare you most of the gory details, but it's safe to say that this house was possibly, probably, never cleaned before - ever. Armed with my bottle of Clorox Cleanup with Bleach and a Magic Eraser (don't waste your time trying to clean serious disgustingess with anything else), I tackled two bathrooms, the kitchen, and two bedrooms. I encountered stains that had no reasonable explanation; how does a bathroom ceiling get caked in something that resembles chewed up carrots? Why were their little yellow balls scattered throughout the entire house? (NavyGuy explanation: "Well... Marine #1 came over and we were playing with our air guns..." Mugs: "Stop. It's best I don't hear anymore." I'll give you one guess as to who will be going around the house picking up all those crazy yellow balls...) By the time I got through with it, the house was unrecognizable. I suspect I'm still high on the bleach fumes, but I consider that a small price to pay for no longer worrying that I'm going to catch Ebola from the kitchen faucet.

As a reward for a day spent on my hands and knees scrubbing soap scum, I decided a pedicure was in order. NavyGuy and I will likely be leaving Florida within a month, so this may be my last excuse to get one until next summer. I opted for a classy pearl pink color, and had a magnificent time reading my Newsweek magazine throughout the pampering. The other fun of my day was a trip to Barnes and Noble and Target before picking NavyGuy up from the airport. (Yes, I bought another book. I'm done feeling guilty. Moving on.)

My other great find though was the Premium M&Ms! (So, after my nice healthy breakfast, I'll be taste-testing the triple chocolate variety, and I'll be sure to post a review asap.) Then it's off to face another day of cleaning and house-prepping. Despite all my hard work yesterday, the master bedroom, living room, and floors still need tackling. I also need to plan a menu for Wednesday night dinner with NavyGuy's fam, finish a winging present, battle a deluge of dirty laundry, and watch last night's new episode of The Hills (priorities, people). Whoever said unemployment is relaxing is clearly high on bleach fumes.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP