Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When it rains, it pours...

From what I can remember of a conversation yesterday:

NavyGuy: Bad news.

Mugs: Are we out of ice cream?

NavyGuy: [sigh] I have to be in San Diego for two weeks of survival training starting a week from Saturday.

Mugs: Better you than me. Where's the bad news?

NG: I detach from the squadron here next week Tuesday or Wednesday. So the movers will be here for our stuff that day.

Mugs: Eh? Who?

NG: The movers. Who will be putting our stuff on a truck and taking it to Whidbey Island (our next place of residence). Which means we have to have everything set aside that we want to take in our car by Monday at least.

Mugs: But how am I going to watch TV and stuff once all my stuff is packed up and I'm still here...

NG: Funny you mention that. You actually won't be staying here in Pensacola - isn't that good news! You hate Pensacola!

Mugs: Yes... but where will I go instead?

NG: Well, you'll come with me to San Diego, and then continue driving 21 hours north until you arrive at Whidbey Island, where you'll house hunt and find us a place to live. Oh yeah, and Monday is Labor Day so the movers likely won't come that day (but we have to start our 30 hours trek out West by Wednesday at the latest), my entire family is arriving tomorrow for my winging ceremony and will be here all weekend, I still need your help making the winging t-shirts, and Hurricane Gustav will probably make landfall just about the time we're trying to drive west across Louisiana and Texas.


It was at this point that I either left the room or burst into tears. It's a blur.

Well, long story short, the next month and a half are going to be slightly stressful, but we've got a tentative plan. NavyGuy and I will pack up our precious belongings, and drive out to San Diego. I will drop him off at survival training to spend two weeks living in the desert eating berries and making shelters out of ducktape. Then I will drive up to Berkeley where Sister (and Hubby and Puppy) live, and crash on their couch for two weeks. NavyGuy will then hitchhike to Berkeley, meet up with me, and then we'll drive together to Whidbey and house hunt together. We still have to figure out the family, the winging t-shirts, the movers, the storage of our stuff, where we can have our mail sent, and the hurricane... but the important thing is:

He bought me more ice cream :)

Oh - and an update on my mental state - I wore two different color flip flops to Wal-Mart this morning and did not notice until 20 minutes after I'd gotten home. Luckily, I fit right in.

6 comments:

ebs handler August 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

Oh, crying,crying, crying, with laughter! (Your Auntie T. is now trying to explain to someone at the bank why she is howling from the back room!) I'm only sorry I'm not on the "trip tik" west. Keep me posted....

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

Based on the lack of comments to this entry (that would presumably have many expletives and excessive punctuation), I'm wondering if the majority of your faithful readers understand the sheer insanity of the reality of your life. Is this a hidden test for comprehension? :)

P.S. Props for the impressive banner!

P.P.S. Lucy can't wait for her Aunt M to come and pup-sit!

Anonymous,  August 28, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

I'm with sister. The level of insanity is through the roof. Thank God you can stay with sister in CA and explore San Fran. I highly recommend a trip to Muir Woods. It's gorgeous!!!

Hang in there!

TWP

Anonymous,  August 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM  

Oh the insanity is just beginning...be happy that he will be WITH you on the trip west and that he will be WITH you on the trip north from California.**
I once sent a letter to a field site telling my military husband "You now live at 32 Maple Street" so he'd know where to come after a month long field exercise! Furniture was delivered and all boxes were unpacked and pictures hung before he ever saw the place.

**It may be necessary to repeat these phrases to yourself many times in the next 3 weeks! Good Luck. Can't wait to read about your travel experiences.

NavyGirl August 30, 2008 at 6:23 AM  

Hahaha! Yes, I've already started the mantra: "I love him and it will all work out in the end." (Secondary mantra: "He's going to suffer through endless chick flicks because of this.")

Unknown August 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM  

I need to make it a point to read your posts in date order. The KFC movers senario makes more sense after reading this post. Hugs and good luck on the trip!
Bucky

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP