Monday, November 3, 2008

Civic Duty? Check.

So, because the state of Washington vows to make it easier for people to vote (and thereby take away all the fun of actually going to your polling place, actually standing in the voting booth, and actually getting the "I Voted!" sticker), most everyone here votes by mail. Yes, I understand the advantages of doing it this way, but that doesn't mean I was happy about it.

[Doesn't NavyGuy look thrilled to have participated in a 200 year old democratic tradition?]

Hence, when NavyGuy and I sat down at the dining room table last night to fill out our ballots (completely obscuring any sense of secrecy), I was ready. Earlier in the day, through a little computer/scrapbooking magic, I had made our own "I Voted" stickers! We went through our ballots, choosing completely opposite candidates in most cases, and even took the time to check the handy dandy "Skagit County Voter's Guide" that arrived with our ballots, whenever we reached a race that didn't clearly label the Democratic candidate or Republican candidate. I had fun reading from the voters guide and trying to convince NavyGuy to vote for a candidate based on solid reasoning such as, "his mustache is wicked!" or "no way - no candidate who's married to a woman named Merva, that's just wrong", and he had fun, well... I guess he had fun when we were done and I could stop threatening to steal his ballot and fill in a straight Green Party ticket :)

[Yes. I actually made a voting sticker. And yes, I did wear the sticker for the rest of the evening.]

Now that the actual work is over, all I have to do is wait for tomorrow to arrive, and stock up for my NBC news election night marathon. Politics, pundits, high drama, Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw - what more could a girl ask for in one night? (Well, if wishing made it so, Tim Russert would be there, but I know he'll be watching from a better place, trusty white board in hand.) How excited are you to go vote? Are you planning on watching any of the coverage of the returns or are you boycotting? Who's going to admit they're mostly just excited for the campaign advertising to be over in about 36 hours?

4 comments:

historygirlie November 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

I do plan on watching, of course CHarlie Gibson and George Snuffleupagus are my main men for the night....and for supper I'm serving MacCaineroni and cheese (with pork barrel sausage) and Barack-oli cauliflower salad. How clever am I??? Farmer thinks I"m completely absurd and silly, but hey....I gave up Neil Diamond tickets to stay home and watch the results, so darn it! I'm going to have fun.

Do you have the windows live messanger program? If so, we should definitely chat while we watch the results....just have the computer standing by. it could be just like (almost) watching together eating shrimp and guacamole (the candidates favorite snacks.....can you guess that I spent some time today researching what they like to eat???)

keby November 3, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

I love that you made your own sticker. I'm voting the ole-fashion way - going to the polls on Election Day.

In exciting news, I'll be there at Obama's election party at Grant Park in Chicago! My former boss was able to get tickets to the party and I'm going as her guest. I'm so excited!!!

-keby

ebs handler November 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

Thanks for the chuckles, historygirlie! I'm blown away by the extensive research and creative menuing going on. (One up on you though, got to use my computer today during WKCE's). And yes, can't wait for coverage (do they let us know that crazy town in Maine by 1:00 a.m.?), but will be torn while Biggest Loser is on.

NavyGirl November 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

Keby - Have a great day at Grant Park! It's going to be an amazing event. My history teacher heart is super jealous :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP