Thursday, November 20, 2008

Goodbye Friend


I have sad news to report for all who know me personally - our dog Ebony is now in doggie heaven. Ebs was twelve, had been having leg/joint issues, skin issues, and weird cysts growing under her skin for some time, and this week everything got much worse. As of yesterday she couldn't stand or walk, and Mom knew the jig was up when Ebony wouldn't eat anything - even Cheerioes (which is like me turning down chocolate).

So, this morning Mom took her to the vet, and now she's playing frisbee in the sky somewhere. Those of you who knew this dog, knew she was a special one. Completely neurotic, totally untrainable, ill-behaved, scared of other dogs, dumber than most other mammals, yet a best friend. She used to steal anything soft she could get her mouth on (socks, scrunchies), she barked like a maniac at anything that moved, and would take her famous yellow frisbee and evacuate to the basement at the first crack of thunder. Even in her old age, she was impossible to take on a walk; she would tug at the lease the entire time, never once breaking despite how much the collar was choking her. Ebony lived a pampered life of comfort, claiming both couches, my bed, mom's bed, and any other space in the house she wanted; Queen Ebony reigned.

(The Queen sits on her throne. "What, Mom - I moved the pillows so I'd be comfy.")

That said, she was forgiving, understanding, unconditionally loving, and a great friend to everyone that she could lick. She was always waiting by the door whenever I got home (and she often got me in trouble coming home slightly past curfew in high school), and throughout college, my first working years, and some rough times, she was also there, curled up at the end of the couch, looking at me as if to say, "Hey it's all okay!!!! Everything will work out!!! You know what will cheer you up!!!! Playing outside and having treats!!!" I could never turn down her request to share my little twin bed, even if it meant I would be sleeping crunched up on half the bed.

(Romping in the snow with her favorite toy.)

Ebby, I hope you're eating lots of Cheerios and catching lots of frisbees - love you lots fart dog. :)

5 comments:

Rearden November 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

She was a good dog! I'll miss her too, almost knocking me over every time I came in your house.

Anonymous,  November 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM  

Very good tribute Mugs.

We'll miss you Ebs...

Anonymous,  November 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM  

So sorry about your doggie :( Mine passed away in June and it's so hard. I still miss him every day. They are such a part of our lives, aren't they?
{Hugz} to you and your family...
~Erika

historygirlie November 21, 2008 at 5:59 AM  

Oh Mugs....you make me weepy.

I have a feeling that Ebony and my childhood Dog Bingo (he'll probably beat Ebs for the title of Heaven's Dumbest Dog) are standing in heaven barking at each other....Gruffy was also afraid of other dogs.

Even God needs a good puppy.....

KAAlan November 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

Sorry to hear about Ebony. I hope Ma H is considering another? Hugs for Mugs.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP