Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Nanny or Maid?

Alright - you guys decide (based on the list of tasks below) which job description would be more appropriate:

- picking up toys
- dusting
- swiffering kitchen floor
- feeding baby
- moving furniture
- watching toddler sit on dad's lap
- vacuuming
- folding twelve bins of baby clothes

How many of you said maid? Cuz, that's how I'd describe my first full day of "nanny-ing." This family (the one who renamed me Annie the Nanny) would be better off calling me Annie the Maid (or Jade the Maid). The list of items above is what I did all day Monday. I spent more time cleaning than I did caring for children, mostly because the toddler is scared of me. I did not realize that "light housework" would entail so much heavy lifting! My back was screaming by the time I got home from shoving furniture around the playroom and livingroom so I could vacuum every square inch of carpet while the kids slept. Mom and Dad are home all day so the toddler never wants to leave their side, and they don't force her to interact with me. The baby has no problems with me, but she sleeps all the time - leaving me lots more cleaning time. Oh goody...

Seriously - has anyone else ever been expected to do this much housework as a nanny? I really thought the main priority would be taking care of their kids so they could get work done. Picking up toys and maybe doing a few dishes here and there was the most housework I was expecting. Thoughts? I'm not sure my back (and self-esteem) can take much more of this...

(Plus, how weird is it that they changed my name? Or that the dad jokingly - I hope - offered to show me the home video of the wife's C-section?!?!)

5 comments:

ebs handler November 12, 2008 at 4:18 AM  

On second thought, get out now! Find a retail position if no other options. At least you'd get an employee discount.

Unknown November 12, 2008 at 4:46 AM  

I'm confused. If they're home, why do they need a nanny??

keby November 12, 2008 at 5:18 AM  

I agree. What in the world are they doing while you're running around cleaning? Plus, they changed your name! Who does that? Get out now! Your talents can be put to much better use.

Anonymous,  November 12, 2008 at 5:56 AM  

Run Annie run!!! It way to creepy that they insist on changing your name and if they wanted you to do that much work, they should have told you. Plus, if that's what they have you do on day 1, what are they going to ask of you later!?!??!?!

RUN!

TWP

NatalieW November 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

Ummm...that's really weird. As a nanny, I've cleaned up messes the child made, but I've never been asked to do extra chores. That's really disrespectful to change your name too. I'd probably start looking for a new job.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP