Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Groom Goes Shopping...

As promised, here is NavyGuy's take on our Target wedding registry experience:

Mugs and I embarked on our second round of wedding registering fun this afternoon after I'd taken my first quiz in advanced electronic warfare school. We drove from Anacortes to a large Target store about 45 minutes south. We ate lunch first at Bostons, a restaurant Mugs and I both liked from Appleton, in order to stock up on energy for this second round of shopping-without-buying (although today would prove to have more of the buying than the previous trip).

Let me say this about shopping: Men are somehow genetically incapable of enjoying shopping. The whole experience of ambling around a store, large or small, going up and down every aisle in the entire place, just tires me out and makes me ornery, and I think most, if not all men have the same experience. The day couldn't have started off better if I'd planned it. Being the more do-it-yourself type when it comes to retail stores(I never miss a chance to use the Wal-Mart Self-Check lanes, those are gifts from someone) I suggested we simply use the little self-service computer to set up our registry. Mugs, being the Queen of Target that she is, thought we could just go up to the Customer Service desk and have them set it up for us. The look on Mug's face when the Customer Service rep told her she needed to do the exact task I'd just suggested we do first, was perhaps one of the most priceless expressions I'll ever witness.

Oddly enough, we actually had more to decide on this day than on our previous trip to Macy's, since we'd already decided on the big items (read china, in particular) prior to actually arriving. Target, on the other hand was all "fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants." We had to stand in the aisles, holding the little red scanner between us and argue about which color table chargers, or whether Mugs made me get rid of my toaster; when I didn't agree with her suggestions, I'd retaliate by continually scanning her and the surrounding items on the shelves, occasionally picking up the odd left shoe or random piece of camping gear as payment for being overruled. In any case, attempting to squeeze the cart past the wide electric elevated platform kind of put a top on the day, and from then on, our trip went downhill fast. Both of us tired, worn out, and sick of walking around and through every aisle led to a relatively hasty end to the day at that point, and we left to drive back home to Anacortes. In a fitting coda to the afternoon, Mugs fell asleep in the car, as she perpetually does, and I drove home in near silence, a suitable contrast to the three long and noisy hours spent in a department store that afternoon.

Thanks again NavyGuy for your contribution - love you hun!

Additionally, this marks my 200th blog post! I can't believe I've blathered that much. (Wait - yes, I can.)

2 comments:

Princess of Ales November 26, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Are you SURE NavyGuy wrote that? It sounds a little Mugs-like. Ugh, are you guys starting to sound like each other already?! It's only a matter of time before matching sweaters.

I am working on some ideas...

historygirlie November 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

Hey PoA....I'd love to see tall NavyGuy and shortie NavyGirl wearing matching sweaters while wandering Target....

NavyGuy....well done shopping. Farmer didn't make it one hour at kohl's before he needed to evac when we went registering. However, in that time we were registered for 6 different kinds of bar glasses and 2 kinds of shot glasses, along with a whiskey decanter, all without my knowing.

Too bad we only drink pop these days........but we have enough barware for 75 guests!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP