Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Late to the Party

I tend to come late to trends. Things are popular or common for months - or even years - before I am willing to try them out. Let's examine the evidence...

Exhibit A - Starbucks. Most people my age have been slurping down lattes and caramel macchiatos for years. They became addicted to coffee in college, and have been prancing around with their white cups and brown coffee sleeves ever since. I however, have only been a Starbucks drinker for the past three weeks. Until I had the opportunity to taste everything on the menu, I had never coughed up the four dollars for a cup of something I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy. Unfortunately, now that I've learned the wonder that is a vanilla latte or a iced mocha, I've become addicted. Throw in a piece of the classic coffee cake, and I'm a happy caffeinated lady. So, now I'm the cliched yuppie needing her 'Bucks fix every day.

Exhibit B - Family Guy. Again, a hugely popular show since I started college, but not until this year, when I live with two idiot Marine roommates who watch nothing but inane television, do I start catching up on reruns of this abrasive, obnoxious, offensive, hilarious sitcom. Those in the know find it weird that I'm just starting to quote the show, but I find myself giggling like a fool whenever I say "what the dooce?" in Stewie's crazy voice.

Exhibit C - Bangs. Well, as we saw last week, I finally took the plunge and chopped some bangs... probably just in time to see every celebrity and cool person getting rid of their bangs!

The list could go on and on (Facebook, skinny jeans, Uggs, etc.) - I am just a slow learner when it comes to what's cool. I think my overall unwillingness to try new things, and general dislike of change, account for it. The only good part to all of this is that I usually miss horrifying trends (see trucker hats and Crocs) by virtue of the fact that they've totally come and gone before I summon the chutzpah to even think about attempting them.

Anyone else usually grabbing the back bumper of the bandwagon as it's almost passed you by?

4 comments:

historygirlie July 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM  

You know for SURE that I am also Late to the Party. I'm always a day late and dollar short with trends.

That's why we are meant to be together!

Keah S July 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Crocs are hot. Despite the fact that Tim Gun has called them "plastic hoofs" and my stylish friend Kelly claims, "Crocs should only be worn by pregnant women and small children", I wear my gold maryjanes every day. Crocs is based near Boulder and has laid off most of its employees, but I'd still argue that they are more popular than ever! Dave has lime green ones, my Canadian friend bright orange, my cute younger friend has the ballet slippers in orange as well. :) They have more than just the hoof style now, so you might not realize that all of your friends are wearing them. ;) Check out the women's section of www.crocs.com

NavyGirl July 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

YellowBunnies - a well written and impassioned defense of Crocs :) I may have to investigate these new versions that are "non-hoof" style... perhaps this is another trend I'll be finally grabbing on to!

Keah S July 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

:) My work is done. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP