Monday, July 6, 2009

Updates and Blogkeeping

* Happy Belated Fourth of July! NavyGuy and I celebrated by going to the Anacortes parade (there was an Uncle Sam on stilts!), and watching the fireworks downtown. For a small town, Anacortes puts on an impressive display of pyrotechnics.

* Everything went well with the house inspection - better than well in fact. The "brickkicker" found almost no problems in the entire place. Essentially, there's one screw missing from a downspout on the side of the deck, and the blinds on the sliding door upstairs need to be re-positioned farther away from the door (currently, they catch when you slide the door open). The appraiser comes tomorrow, and then we just have to wait patiently for the financing to be complete... though patiently might be asking a little much.

* Sunday morning was my first shift at Target. I've been assigned to the Starbucks in the Target, so while I'm technically a Target employee, I will be trained on Starbucks first. Confusing, yes. After my first shift, where I was trained by a 24 year old, I learned that a) I'm going to have to taste all of the drinks (ew, I hate coffe), b) the saran wrap box is smarter than me, and c) I have a LOT to learn before I can be left alone in the Starbucks. I have another shift tomorrow; we'll see if I make any progress.

* NavyGuy has been on "holiday" since last Thursday, and it's high time he go back to work.

On a separate note, I realized I missed my 1 year "blog"-aversary on June 25th!!! I meant to celebrate somehow, but the date just slipped by. That's okay. It's really just shocking that I've actually stuck with this for so long! I tend to grab new hobbies and obsessions for a while and then let them drift... Nonetheless, since we missed the date, I'm going to celebrate a different milestone - 500 posts! This post marks #475, so I have a few more posts to come up with a way to party with all of you. Feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments - I'm thinking maybe some giveaways? Or a countdown of favorite posts? Posts from some of the frequent guest stars like Mom, Sister, TWP, NavyGuy, or HistoryGirlie? Let me know what you'd like.

7 comments:

Brooklet July 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

You had an Uncle Sam on stilts? You didn't tell me about that! That's way cooler than the commisary van with the giant Lucky Charms box on the roof...which is what Oak Harbor had to offer in their parade.

sister,  July 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

Haha, love the special 500-post ideas...and happy belated blog-aversary! (Why does that sound so good in my head?)

And seriously, you don't know how many people would be jealous of you right now, being able to taste ALL the Starbucks drinks...for free! Someone's going to get the addiction pretty soon I think.

;)

historygirlie July 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM  

Yep, I bet it's time for Maverick to head back to the base. Does that mean the Marine Corps are also off? Good times for you if you are.

I agree with Sister (Seriously, Sister, were we also sisters in a previous life??? Maybe the Three of us were all related) that I bet you'll get to luv coffee after working at the *Bux (which is how MY coffee addicted sister calls Starbucks.)

historygirlie July 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM  

PS: I'd be also happy to do a special guest star blog post...but I have no idea what to write about. :)

Duckie #2 July 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Hi! I came across your excellent blog on Google yesterday, and have spent the last two (slightly boring/useless) days of my internship reading it all. Creepy? Maybe. But what most interests me is your hubby's stint at OCS. I'm graduating college in a year and have wanted to fly for the Navy all of my life. Now that I'm 21, I still want to, and want to pursue NOCS.
I love your side of life in the Navy, as I want to have a family of my own one day, and like seeing what it would be like. It's also nice to see that naval aviators can have their happy ever after too, while doing what they love. However, obviously I would love to know more about NavyGuy's OCS experience. Any way we could get a guest post or I could get more info from him?

Thanks!

keby July 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

We need to compare notes about our Starbucks experience. I worked as a bookseller for 5 months - working full time and when I moved they made me work in the cafe. I still think it was the stupidest thing since they had to retrain me. Plus, I'm like you and don't like coffee. Luckily, they didn't make me taste everything. I hope they have the recipe card readily available for you.

Congrats on your blog-aversary!

Rearden July 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Melissa, if you want to talk about OCS, you can email me:
rearden888 [at] gmail [dot] com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP