Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Open Letter

Dear Northwest Washington Weather Patterns,

Hi! I know we only met last October, so we haven't even known each other a full year. But I'm going to go on the record and say, what the hell! I Googled your background, like any good blind date would, and I know that you average temp
eratures in the mid 60s for the month of July. Typical humidity levels - less than 50%.

So what in god's name is going on around here?!?!?!?! Are you ticked off at us over something, or is this just some kind of elaborate prank to increase fan sales? It has been in the high 80s, with 200% humidity for almost a week. You've made your point, ok? My car thermometer read 115 degrees after sitting outside for twenty minutes while I was in the grocery store. Simply sitting in my bedroom elicits profuse sweating - forget about trying to actually get anything done in my sauna of a house. You, Mother Nature, are a fickle temptress. No residences in Northwest Washington have air-conditioning... which is normally fine for an area that boasts m
ild summers!!!! Target was sold out of fans yesterday (rumor has it most of Burlington was), but I have an ice maker in my fridge, and I'm not above filling the bathtub with ice and simply chillin' in there until this heat wave is over. I'll do it - you will not beat me.

However, if you could find it in your heart to back off just a little bit, that'd be swell. I have to pack and finish some craft projects and generally be productive the next few days, so if you could see fit to give us a little respite from this oppressive weather, I'd love you forever.

Wishing you lots of clouds and cold fronts,

NavyGirl


P.S. YellowBunnies... is there a rational explanation for this Northwest heat wave, or is this just karmic retribution for all the beautiful weather we got in May?

4 comments:

Michelle July 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

I have in WA my entire life and this is the hottest I can ever remember. We usually get 2, maybe 3 days of low 90s, but very rarely do we ever hit the 100s. I have a stamp list a mile long and I haven't got the energy to work on any of it. =) So I feel your pain and am praying everyday for a return to our "mild" summer!!

historygirlie July 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

As we were watching Tom Mahoney tonight while eating Hot Dogs (It was a NavyGirl kind of evening) Farmer was amazed at the weather that WA was having. He then asked how I thought you were holding up in the heat wave. I had two words for him...."Not Well".

Meanwhile, I wore a sweatshirt for most of the day and Kitty had on sweatpants and a Tee. The only time either of us was sweating was when we had an impromptu wrestling match on the kitchen floor. She now thinks its hilarious to "push" you over when you are sitting on the floor. Look out WWF! KrazyKat will be your next female wrestler!

Carlene,  August 4, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Hey, think about it this way...it could be worse...you could be spending the summer in Pensacola! I've been here 15 years and still haven't getten used to it...

BTW, I just found your blog, and am infatuated. I'm dating/engaged to (we're in that awkward "yes we're going to get married but am not yet wearing an engagement ring" stage) a flight student down here and also am a nanny/teacher.

NavyGirl August 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Welcome Carlene! I'll agree that P-cola weather is definitely worse than where I am now :) Glad you found my little ramblings... hello from one Navy girl to another!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP