Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tastings and More

I'm easing my way into tasting all of the Starbucks drinks. Today was another morning shift (this time with a different trainer), and she went easy on me... for the most part. I can now speak to the following beverages:

* Pike Place Regular Brew - "earthy"
(This is what we brew everyday as the plain drip coffee, and basically, it takes like coffee to me - gross. Apparently, it's a "medium" coffee, as opposed to the bold or extra bold varieties which would really put hair on my chest.)

* Espresso Shots - caramelly, nutty aftertaste
(Still pretty much tastes like coffee to me. The espresso shots come out of the Verisimo machine and are added to many of the beverages. You have to use the shots almost immediately, otherwise they "burn" and taste even more horrible. I tried a good and bad version today. Sweet Jesus they were both foul.)

* Strawberry Banana Vivano Smoothie - refreshing, fruity, and yummy
(One of the featured smoothies for the summer. It has a whole banana and protein powder, and was pretty good. We're supposed to recommend the "Very Berry Coffee Cake" as a suitable food pairing... which I also tasted just so I can truthfully tell people that it rocks!)

* Chocolate Banana Vivano Smoothie - refreshing and chocolate-y
(Best taste of the day! Not normally a banana person, but this was great. These smoothies aren't exactly diet food at 280 calories, but they would make a great breakfast shake or meal replacement item. Don't I sound like a great saleswoman?!?!? ;)
However, I still have very few useful skills behind the counter. If someone is logged into the cash register, I can usually stumble through ringing up someone's order. The saran wrap still has a leg up on me, but at least I didn't knock a muffin on the floor trying to cover it this morning. I also know how to grind and brew drip coffee, replace the cups and lids in the condiment bar, and rinse the blender cups. Woot! Progress. I also practiced my customer service by giving out samples in the lobby. I had my little tray with tiny cups of strawberry banana smoothie, and small slices of berry coffee cake, and the people loved me them! True, there were only five samples, but they flew off the plate :) Aside from dropping a petite scone under the pastry case (oops), I had a pretty successful day!

5 comments:

sister,  July 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Mugs - shameful! Don't drop those petite vanilla bean scones...they're so good!

And I apparently picked a bad time to stop drinking coffee everyday, if you're just going to describe all the wonderful things about it that I'm missing now.

Glad to hear training is going pretty well :)

Rearden July 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

Stop drinking coffee? Why would anyone want to do that?

Anonymous,  July 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

I feel for you! I too hate coffee and I can't imagine tasting one nasty thing after another only to have them all taste like poo. Just keep picturing all the great furniture you can buy for your house with your new found Target wealth as you choke down the samples!

TWP

historygirlie July 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Look on the bright side:

#1: Even though the coffee is God-Awful, at least you get to taste test all the awesome pastries!

#2: While drinking said coffee, you are at least in the ambience of Tar-ghay!

;)

Keah S July 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Iced Grande soy no whip white mocha. Try it, you'll learn to love coffee via this drink. Seriously though, don't start. The addiction is intense and expensive for us non-employees. I'm very jealous of your new job. Want to trade? (You stare at a computer screen, I'll make the mochas and take the Target discount.)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP