Thursday, July 2, 2009

When It Rains...


More good news folks! After an arduous search (and acceptance of the fact that no school district within fifty miles is hiring), I have acquired gainful employment at Target. The mothership has called me home and made me one of their own; I spent my first day in red and khaki on Thursday, going through three hours of boring orientation.



Truth be told, I'm a bit embarrassed. As a college graduate who had a respectable full-time job for four years, it took a bit of "pride-swallowing" to seek out a retail position. I'll be making more than minimum wage - but not by much - mixing tasty drinks at the in-store Starbucks (and maybe filling in at the Food Avenue from time to time). Essentially, spending four years studying Russian history and theories of education was supposed to spare me from this, but whadda ya gonna do? Life is life, and we just bought a house. Every extra dollar will help pay the mortgage (and fill said house with new furnishings), so I will cheerfully join the bullseye chain gang and learn how to be a "fast, fun, and friendly" team member.

Today's orientation consisted mostly of boring videos about Target's philosophies, sexual harassment, time clock compliance, and safety tips, like not using the step ladders that are for sale in aisle C17 as means to reach heavy boxes (which definitely means someone did this as some point). I haven't gotten any Starbucks specific knowledge yet, but all in good time.

So, even though I'm now in the ranks with unreliable high school students, at least it's a job. I will suffer through it, and focus on the good stuff - 10% merchandise discount! (No - I will not buy you all stuff. Maybe as birthday gifts. That's it. Don't try sucking up to me to get you stuff... that's not being a good team member :) Plus I can only use the discount when I pay with cash or check, so it's actually somewhat limiting considering I use plastic for everything.)

Practice saying it with me: "Can I help you find something?"

3 comments:

ebs handler July 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM  

They're lucky to have you! Sure, it's not your chosen profession, but you will be prompt, helpful, cheerful, responsible, dedicated, and hard-working which is what all of your previous educators taught you in order to succeed in life, no matter what the job!
Good luck!

Princess of Ales July 4, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

Ditto. Almost everyone with a college degree works retail. It's part of our training. In fact, I'm confident it should be mandatory. =)

You will be amazing! And you look fabulous in khaki. Love you. Can't wait to tell you all about Ireland and see the house. MUAH!

MusicMann July 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

Princess of Ales has it right - everyone who has a college degree has worked in retail. I worked in the B&N cafe for 6 months when we moved to Chicago. You'll learn how to make a real mean latte and get a great discount! Good luck!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP