Monday, December 15, 2008

Gift Card Ornaments

Next up: gift card ornaments! I tend to give a few gift cards as Christmas presents every year, because some of the (primarily male) recipients on my list are less than easy to shop for. I'm not sure they'll appreciate the pretty card holder quite as much as the Best Buy money, but I like the card holder and I know other ladies at the Christmas celebrations will get a kick out of them.


We put these together using a diecut called the Top Note. To replicate them at home, I'm going to use my Cricut to cut out a similar shape (you could of course also just use rectangles). You will need to cut out two of them. One will end up being the backside, the other one will be cut into two pieces and use to make the pocket on the front. In the photo below, you can see the pocket where the gift card can slide in. To make that pocket, you need to cut one of the Top Notes in half (a little below the halfway mark). The top half should be attached with regular adhesive, but the bottom piece needs to be attached with more permanent adhesive (such as Tacky Tape). Be careful not to tape down the top edge of the bottom piece or you won't have a pocket!


Here's another pattern using burgandy paper instead of bright red. The cardinal is a stamp that we colored with blender pens and then cut out. To make the gift card holder into an ornament that can be hung on the tree, we added an eyelet and ribbon to the top.

So neat! I love the ornament aspect. If you don't have some way to attach the gift card to the Christmas tree, it usually falls off of the tree and gets lost in the mountain of presents underneath, or it gets lost in the tree and is a hot mess. This way, your tree looks prettier, and you have a cool way to package a present of spending money :)

4 comments:

Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

M,
These are so cute. And I'd like to think the cardinals are a nod to the "best" years of your life as a cardinal : )

Thanks for the therapy session. Much needed. I think I'm turning more into my mother everyday...I never let you hang up the phone! I have no class during the month of January and hope to regain some sanity during that brief time!

TWP

historygirlie December 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

Mugs~

I'm sending you back with some cash to order me some of those blending pens. If I have my craft stuff right, those are colored pencils that are kind of like eye shadow....you can blend with your finger???? If that's what they are, I've been looking for them around here and can't find them, so you'll have to order for me! ;)

Those holders are SUPER CUTE. well done.

NavyGirl December 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

Historygirlie - I do not know the blender pens you speak of, but they sound magical. The ones I've been using are from Stampin' Up and you use them with ink pads. Basically, you soak up a little ink into the pen tip, and then color with that. As soon as the ink runs out, you just re-dip or switch colors. I'll email you the link.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP