Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Updates

My Berkeley-cation is almost over. NavyGuy survived the survival training (he said he missed me more than food... I'll pause while you gag), and he is headed up here tomorrow. We'll spend a little time with Sister, Brother-in-Law, and Puppy before starting on part 2 of our 2008 relocation.

Our house search has proved frustrating. We are attempting to find a house to rent for one year somewhere on Whidbey Island. Because we are unfamiliar with the area, we didn't want to commit to a house purchase until we get a better feel for the place. Additionally, two of NavyGuy's good friends will also be training in Whidbey for a year, so we're actually searching for a many bedroomed mansion for the four of us to share. I must have been drunk when I agreed to this plan, but as NavyGuy pointed out - his friends will be over often enough studying and hanging out, that we might as well just let them live there and collect rent and utilities. Plus, this way we can live in a nicer house (better kitchen, possible waterfront property, etc.). Alas, we've yet to find our perfect castle, so the quest continues.

I am still in search of my graduate school books. They were shipped from California and allegedly arrived in Pensacola the day we left, so I've been playing phone tag with the student services people, trying to get another package sent. You'd think they would want me to get going on the degree - perhaps they haven't heard my rant about how I won't be paying a dime more until I actually have something tangible from them to show for my money.

The battle with the wedding venue continues. They are insisting that we be finished with the ceremony by 2:00 in the afternoon, because they want to be able to schedule a second event afterward (so they can make the most money). I (and NavyGuy and my mom and his parents) say, if we sign up for the space and date first - we should have first dibs on when we want to get hitched! I don't hate the idea of an earlier ceremony, but I would rather not have the guests picking their noses for hours between the ceremony and the reception, nor would I like to host a four hour cocktail reception. The negotiations are ongoing; hopefully the venue will relent so I don't have to bust out the big guns (I'm not quite sure yet what I'll use for big guns, so if anyone has any actual guns they would lend, that may be useful...).

Hope your weekend is eventful, relaxing, or hilarious (whichever you need at the moment)!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  September 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

Can you threaten to cancel knowing that there's no way you're actually going to cancel in hopes that they'll relent???? Just name some other great place that you have lined up and say that's fine, I guess we'll just go with the capital instead....

I have no idea. It's too late and me and vodka have gotten to know each other a little too well tonight!

Love, TWP

Anonymous,  September 20, 2008 at 6:21 PM  

Your going to love Whidbey Island. It may be a little old fashioned but the people are great and the island is beautiful! Next year when i finally move to Whidbey with my Navy Man we will also be renting a house with a few of his friends!

Princess of Ales September 22, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

Alas, people like that are likely to point out that they don't NEED your reservation because other people will come forward. Ass-hats. Guns are your only option. Being from Wisconsin, I would have thought you'd have a ready supply. Fortunately, Dad has a gun cabinet, and his place is just a 50 mile detour on the way to Whidbey. =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP