Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Goodbye Pensacola

As we've passed the 24 hour mark (meaning, I will reside in Pensacola, FL for fewer than 24 hours now, barring any other natural disasters or Navy complications), I've decided it's time to reflect upon my short, but eventful, time here.

As a farewell present to this city that makes my insides cramp up, I give you the list of things that I will miss for a whole ten minutes after driving away tomorrow:

1. The Beach.
Yes, we only got here a few times, but it was your allure that I loved. You were always there as a possibility, an option, a happy thought to go to when the humidity and stupidity got to me.

2. Hemingway's Restaurant.
We still haven't uncovered the connection that Ernest has to Pensacola, but with key lime mustard dipping sauce like that, I don't care if all he did was blow his nose here once. Thank you as well for your scrumptious shrimp and rum brownie dessert (though to NavyGuy's chagrin I also omitted the rum, lest it throw off the chocolate-y taste).

3. Pensacola Regional Airport.
Except for an unfortunate AirTran incident with my sister (who now has her picture up next to the ticket counter with a "Do Not Fly This Girl Anywhere" sign underneath), you always came through for us with a plethora of flight options, endless groups of entertaining idiots attempting to navigate the security line, TSA employees who may or may not have graduated 6th grade, and an open electrical outlet by the kids playroom area where I could charge my laptop. When I'm stuck driving an hour and a half to Seattle's airport in the future, I will look back fondly on you, Pcola 'Port, and finally forgive you for that scarring, one carry-on bag scandal in October '06.

4. Hungry Howie's Pizza.
I know you're a chain, and exist elsewhere in the world, but we discovered you here, so that is where you shall always remain in my heart. Your wonderous flavored crust, your inexplicably low priced deliciousness - all will be remembered and treasured.

(Yes, by the way, I do know that half of my entries are restaurants... does this not give you some kind of indication the armpit of a city I'm leaving?)

5. Local churches with message signs.
NavyGuy and I want to thank you, from the bottom of our skeptical, judgmental, smug hearts. We know inspirational signs exist everywhere, but here in the Bible Belt, they take on a life of their own. Countless times when driving by one of your creative signs, we were given a small chuckle that brightened our days. Some of my personal favorites included the witty puns ("Warning: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning."); attempts at 2008 lingo ("God answers Knee mail"); confusing ones that we still aren't sure we understand ("A clear conscience makes a soft pillow); and the ones that are downright mean ("Try Jesus. If you don't like him, the Devil will always take you back."). Plus a saucy one just for fun: "Staying in bed, shouting Oh God! does not constitute going to church." Tee hee hee. Bless you Southern religion; the amusing parts of you will be missed.

Well, if I think of other things I'll miss about this place, I'll be sure to pass them on. But for the moment, that's about all I can muster. I'll poll NavyGuy when he gets home and see if he can add anything. (I wouldn't expect to many additions if we're relying on his opinion.)

1 comments:

Unknown September 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM  

I believe that "a clear conscience makes a soft pillow" means that with a clear conscience you rest easier. ;)
Bucky

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP