Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fright Fest Films

Even if you're not dressing up in a costume or going to a party this year, you can still celebrate Halloween -- with a good old fashioned film festival, chock full of fantastically scary flicks! I love watching scary movies, despite the fact that I usually end up then sleeping with the lights on in my bedroom. So for you fellow masochists out there, here's a few recent horror films that I've seen:

The Messengers (Dylan McDermott, John Corbett, Kristen Stewart; PG-13; 90 min.)
The basic plot is: New family moves into haunted farm house. Only the kids see the creepiness that ensues. Not a great movie, but if you watch it at night by yourself, you'll still be startled a few times. FarmerWife - this one's a no no for you living out in the country mostly by yourself.

Vacancy
(Kate Beckinsale, Luke Wilson; R; 85 min.)
I have always sworn that motels are 5000 times creepier than hotels (something about having your door lead right to the outside world). This movie, proves my point. The two leads find themselves trapped in their motel room being watched on hidden cameras. Roomie #1 and I watched this on his brother's recommendation, and we were both completely freaked out. It's got great startle parts, plus an absolutely terrifying premise. (Bonus - if you're a Criminal Minds fan, you'll recognize the general plot from last week's episode).

Prom Night (Brittany Snow, "Stringer Bell" from The Wire; PG-13; 88 min.)
I'll admit right off the bat that this is a very standard teen slasher film - everyone you expect to die gets it, and the pretty girl lives. That said, of the three movies I've seen recently, this is the one that is still giving me chills when I think about it. Giving away the set-up takes some of the shock away, so I'll just say that if you're not seriously disturbed by the first five minutes - you're crazy. The villan has demented eyes and a great serial killer voice, there's lots of startle and scream moments, and no matter how awful your prom night was, this wins.

EW.com is also getting in the spirit with their list of Hollywood's 20 Scariest Movies of All Time. It's going to be a spoooooktacular Halloween!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  October 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

Eeeeewwwww...Prom Night. Just the title gives me the chills, triggers my PTSD and makes me want to throw up. I don't need to watch the movie to know it ain't going to be pretty.

TWP

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP