Sunday, October 5, 2008

Weekend Wanderings

After our riveting Friday night (unpacking, organizing, Friends reruns, and snoring by 10:15), we we had a bit more excitement on Saturday. NavyGuy received a desperate text from his good friend around 6am asking him to come pick him up in Seattle. Long (and headache-inducing) story short, the friend had been sitting in a hotel lobby all night in downtown Seattle, couldn't get back in the room he was sharing with several other guys, couldn't rent a car, and needed to get the heck out of there. NavyGuy is that kind of nice guy, so he hauled ass down to Seattle to rescue his friend, and I spent the morning setting up my scrapbooking/crafting workstation in the office - yippeeeeeeee!!!!! (NavyGuy was smart enough to return a) proclaiming how glad he was to be out of the single-guy-bar-hop phase of life and b) with donuts.)

Later that day we ventured to the movie theater in Burlington. For those of you who know us well, you know how important this trip was. Next to Target, the movie theater is one of the most frequented places in our lives. We see probably 75-100 movies in the theater each year. We have a specific system employed to count and evaluate trailers before the films (anything less than four trailers and it's a wasted eight dollars). We may or may not have seen one of the Harry Potter films twice opening weekend. What I'm trying to say is, the theater in Burlington is the closest "big" theater, and we were seriously hoping it would live up to our addiction. On most counts, it will suffice. The bathrooms are too far away to make a quick run during the movie, and the projection screens are not the cushy digital ones we got used to in Pensacola, but it does have sixteen screens, good smelling popcorn, and respectable seats (against my better judgment, we did not leave early enough to arrive in time for all the previews, so I can't judge that part yet).

Oh? What did we see? Yeah, I guess that's probably more interesting for most of you ;) NavyGuy and his friend connived me into seeing Appaloosa, the cowboy flick with Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Jeremy Irons, and Renee Zellwegger. Despite my abhorrence of all things Miss Zellwegger (why is her face always schrunchy?), the movie was good. Viggo had sketchy facial hair, diminishing his usual hotness, but the plot was valid, and it was a nice western for a rainy Saturday afternoon. There were also more funny bits than expected.

The other major excitement of the day was right in our own backyard - literally! As I was working in the office, something happened to catch my eye out the window into the front yard. I thought a skinny dog had strayed into our yard, but lo and behold - two deer were strolling across our driveway! Our driveway! People - I could have fired a shot out my front window and had venison stew for dinner! I know, I know - but Mugs, you don't even like nature or animals that aren't little and cute... You are correct, BUT two deer wandered across our driveway, crossed the street, and then slowly meandered down the sidewalk until they finally escaped the rain and headed for the wooded area. That kind of nature entertainment, I like. I scared NavyGuy half to death with all my screaming (was it my fault that he chose the time our house was under attack by wild animals to use the head?), but he too was excited about our country living. So long as these wild beasts don't start gnawing on my pretty pink hydrangeas, I'll leave the shot gun unloaded.

Three more days until the internet at home, three more days, I can do this. (From my whining and carrying on, you'd think I was living without indoor plumbing or oxygen, but you try only checking your email once a day!) Hope everyone else had a weekend full of drama and deer :)

3 comments:

Anonymous,  October 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

Hi Meag!
Ok, so I've never left a blog-comment before, so I hope I do this correctly - but I just want to agree with you on the Renee "Scrunchy" face - it is ALWAYS scruched! :) Happy unpacking - oh and I was so excited to hear about the deer in the yard!! :)

Anonymous,  October 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

OMG...I don't even know you anymore. Deer. YOU are exicted about deer.........

Someone get me a drink......................

TWP

Anonymous,  October 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Wow and I thought Ben and I watch a lot of movies. Though, I guess if you factor in netflix we probably watch that many too. You guys would have loved our old apartment - it was right across the street from the movie theater and a good one that played artsy/intellectual stuff and blockbusters. I loved walking across the street 5 min before a show started and not missing any trailers.

Hope the unpacking is going well!

-keby

PS. I received three kickass new handbags from my boss as a thank-you/going away present that she got at Macy's. Apparently, they're having an incredible sale right now. I'll send you pictures, you'd love them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP