Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pie. Was. Made.

I am starting the official countdown to my first Thanksgiving as the hostess. T-minus 29 days until my and NavyGuy's families arrive in our zipcode and expect to celebrate a treasured holiday. It's funny how these kinds of things always sound like such a good idea when you're just talking about them...

Before Turkey day, I need to
1. create a menu
2. de-boy-ify the house
3. turn the house into a scene from Martha Stewart Living
4. build another dining room table to fit the expanding guest list
5. learn how to cook several infamous side dishes and desserts
6. assemble an outfit that will look effortlessly chic while also resisting gravy stains and cooking/stress induced hot flashes
7. give up control of the bird to NavyGuy who plans to deep fry the main entree...

With that said, I began my taste-tests for the big meal, and I started with dessert. This afternoon, I made a pie. Yes, I did. No, I was not wearing heels and pearls (nor was I barefoot OR pregnant thankyouverymuch). I wore jeans and a look of sheer determination. The mission: chocolate chip pecan pie. There had been a prior attempt at my apartment in Wisconsin, but there was an oven temperature situation and I still hold that the resulting pecan goo was not my fault.Today's experiment (with accurate oven temperature readings) turned out better, but alas, it will not be making the menu come T-Day. NavyGuy and I both thought it tasted alright, but the filling still doesn't set quite right, so it does not meet my exacting presentation standards (plus I managed to scorch the pecans on top). I have included the recipe though for the more accomplished chefs out there, because I'm sure in the right hands it's a wonderful pie.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie - Woman's Day Magazine

6 comments:

Anonymous,  October 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

I have a lovely pear crisp recipe that's pretty easy that I'd be happy to pass your way if you'd like, a REALLY good carrot cake (grandma's recipe that always seems to turn out right) and an easy cherry crisp. Let me know.

TWP

Anonymous,  October 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

P.S. My mom also makes a really good dutch apple pie....I don't even like pie, but I always eat that.

TWP

Princess of Ales October 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

And, if you want to pull a Little Debby, you could always just use the Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie filling recipe, which has not failed either of us yet. Of course, if you feel the NEED to make this harder than frozen snot, you can try something out on me next weekend. (That's right...NEXT weekend!)

Anonymous,  October 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

Oh my god, you're channeling Monica Gellar! Remember that episode of Friends where Monica cooks everyone's must have favorite dishes, but nothing turns out correctly. I pray that won't happen to you.'

But your Monica tendencies do crack me up!

-keby

Anonymous,  October 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

If you Monica-bang Macy so help me Lord........

TWP

NavyGirl October 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

Monica-bang! Dang I miss that show.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP