Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day Two in the Trenches

More 6th grade fun today. I subbed at the same building as last week, so I had met some of the students previously. Lessons learned?

1. Lunch counts matter.
After ten minutes of frantic searching for the "attendance folder," the children helpfully informed me that it might be down in the office (thanks kids). By the time it had been retrieved, the czar of the lunch ladies blared into the classroom over the intercom demanding to know why she hadn't been given the nuclear launch codes milk order for the day. Apparently, one should not monkey with the lunch count system.

2. Globes have a mind of their own.
Twenty minutes into the day, a globe sitting on a shelf off to one side of the classroom, mysteriously jumped off of the shelf and crashed to the ground. If you'd asked me what contingencies I had planned for when prepping that morning, falling objects would not have been on the list. I have absolutely no clue what in god's name happened; every kid was at their desk, no one was jumping around or doing anything that could have jostled the globe - it simply fell of the shelf. Unfortunately, it was old and actually broke; pieces of cardboard chipped off (part of norther Africa disappeared) and of course the kids were batty for the next five minutes because of the disturbance. I left a note for the sub explaining what happened - even offering to replace the globe or compensate him for it - and all I can do is hope for the best.

3. Indoor Recess is Retribution for Having Summers Off
When Dante wrote about his circles of hell, he forgot one. And that's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Indoor recess?!?! Come on Mugs, that's my specialty!!!

If only I could have been there for support - remind me to give you some ideas to tame the masses.

ebs handler January 28, 2009 at 4:06 AM  

Wish I could have known you, Sister, in your previous life! You would have been very useful on many below zero days in the world of education. Mugs, all I can offer is a recess coat for below freezing days.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP