Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Presents, Presents Everywhere...

My Uggs arrived today!!! NavyGuy got a pair for me for Christmas, but I needed a different size (which, of course, the store would not be getting until after we'd returned to the coast). So, the store shipped my new pair way out here!

I have the short brown version, modeled here by the lovely Ms. Aniston :) I am still working on the whole tucking-my-jeans-into-them scenario. On the one hand, I feel like a 14 year old doing it. On the other hand, having my jeans over the boots makes my feet look clunky and hobbit-esque. On a third hand, the jean tucking route seems to be a vain attempt to make sure people see you're wearing "real Uggs." But, on the fourth practical hand, jean tucking keeps the bottom of your pant legs from getting wet, an especially aggravating and blood boiling common aspect of life here in the flooded Northwest. However, most of my jeans are bootleg, and just don't seem to tuck into the boots correctly... am I doing something wrong? Is this like the tight-roll fad of the late 80s that I could never properly execute? Help me dear readers - jean tucking has become my latest (frivolous) worry.

*Editor's Note: I have chosen to ignore the controversy that surrounds Uggs (as well as Crocs) and rise above the fray. Normally I'm all for making fun of pointless fashion trends, but in this case, I'm just going to say - judge me all you want, those damn boots are comfy and soft, and I will clod around in them with pride.

In other news, fiiiiiiiiiinally started John Adams HBO miniseries - greatness! Several reliable sources had been raving about it for a while, and all of them are free to say "I told you so." I'm only through the first hour (of seven), but already I'm hooked. Excellent performances, costumes, music, casting, and historical accuracy (I was a history teacher in my previous life so my word here is good). The unexpected bit though is that it makes me miss teaching; I catch myself watching segments and deciding which clips I could show the AP U.S. History kids, or what discussion questions I'd use with a class. The full impact of historical events can sometimes be best expressed on the screen - for those of you who've seen it, I'm thinking in particular of the tarring and feathering that happens in the first hour. Off to watch part 2!

5 comments:

Anonymous,  January 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

I don't get the pant tuck either. I've tried the pants in and out of the boot and I feel like an old wannabe fool both ways.

In the meantime I'm going to keep shopping at Forever 21 and wearing shirts with slogans on them before my youth card gets retracted!

TWP

Brooklet January 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

I'm so happy you remember the tight rolling trend of the 80's! I've mentioned that before to the husband and to a few of my friends and they all look at me with a "huh?" expression on their face. Maybe its because they went to private schools, but in my public school, everyone wore their jeans that way. I don't know why I'm so excited that you just mentioned that!

Anonymous,  January 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Okay sis, here's the secret.

It's not attractive, but it works.

You gotta tuck a little bit of your pants into your socks, JUST to hold the pants in place when you put on the boots. Then scrunch them around a bit to make sure it's comfortable.

If that still doesn't work for you...invest in some skinny jeans.

P.S. Yay for John Adams! Apparently it was destiny that we got it for you, since TWP and HistoryGirlie would do you physical harm had you NOT started to watch it by now.

ebs handler January 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

As for the stylish jean tucking conundrum, (we should be doing a word-of-the-day!) don't worry too much about appearance since even the lovely celebs you pictured seem to have scrunchy areas along the tops of their Uggs also. Maybe their dressers couldn't bend down to push them all the way in....

keby January 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get the hang of tight-rolling pants!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP