Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Year in Review: 2008

Instead of simply acknowledging the best and worst of this past year, or listing trivial details, I'd like to indulge and play along with a questionnaire that I've stolen from other blogs (check out HistoryGirlie's answers here). There are many, many questions, and I've edited and omitted where necessary, but I like their serious and thought-provoking nature. 2008 will be remembered in my life as one of the "big years," so I'd like to give it proper recognition and remembrance.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? Pack up my life and move across the country to an unfamiliar place.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I'm sure I made resolutions last New Year's Eve, and I'm sure they were forgotten soon after. I'm hoping that by answering these questions, I'll be able to set more significant goals for 2009.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No... but 2009 should prove fruitful :)

4. Did anyone close to you die? Ebony :(

5. What countries did you visit? I was too busy skipping around the 'ole U. S. of A. to use my passport.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A puppy!!!

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 26 - Sister's wedding!
The date NavyGuy and I left on our move to Washington.
November 4th - Election Day (history geek, remember?)


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Surviving a month long move from the south east coast to the north west coast.

9. What was your biggest failure? Lacking the necessary attitude to accept my changing life.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I learned to better manage the IBS that was diagnosed the prior year, and continued to face my anxiety and stress. Oh, and I got a cold over Thanksgiving. Boo.

11. What was the best thing you bought? A new comforter set.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My mom.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Sarah Palin.

14. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Planning the wedding!!!

15. Where did most of your money go? Target, Old Navy, Barnes and Noble.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Anything by Rhianna.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter?c) richer or poorer? Happier because I'm with NavyGuy, sadder because I miss my old life; thinner in the wallet, fatter in the thighs; richer in experiences, poorer in Vitamin D.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Reading - given all the time I could have devoted to it, I finished a surprisingly small number of books.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Snacking and sitting on my rump.

20. How did you spend Christmas? Drinking Brandy Slush and eating appetizers with family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes. With blogging.

22. What was your favorite TV program? The Wire. So sad it's over, so glad I'm not a corner kid in Baltimore, so excited to see David Simon comes up with next.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Not particularily.

24. What was the best book you read? The Twilight series - I still haven't quite put my finger on why these sappy teen romance adventures are so captivating, but trust me - they are!

25. What was your greatest discovery? Weddingbee.com. Hilarious, sassy, DIY-crazed brides share their wedding planning in real time. I blame this site for enabling my procrastination, and giving me too many amazing ideas to use in one wedding.

26. What did you want and get? The world's most beautiful engagement ring. (Fine, nitpickers, he proposed on December 24th of 2007, but the ring was still sparkly enough to distract me in 2008!)

27. What did you want and not get? A full time job.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Sex and the City!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 26, but honestly, I can't remember what I did on the actual day of my birthday. I do remember my mom bringing a Ho-ho cake up to my apartment so I could have my favorite cake!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Sweatpants mixed with raincoats. Not a "Best Dressed" year for Mugs.

32. What kept you sane? Pills. NavyGuy. Dairy Queen. Not necessarily in that order.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I'd like to be Tina Fey's best friend, and Jon Stewart's secret girlfriend.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Gay marriage bans.

35. Who did you miss? EVERYONE! At this exact moment, I miss Historygirlie the most because I want to talk either crafting or John Adams the miniseries.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Brooklet, a new friend in Washington, who's equally tepid about the Navy life and Pacific northwest.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Texas is very big and boring, but it is the home of Dairy Queen, so there'll be one at almost every highway exit.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Sara Bareilles, Many the Miles. "How far do I have to go to get to you, many the miles, but send me the miles and I'll be happy to follow you Love." So apropo. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 7, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

I co-sign #12...AND #13. Wholeheartedly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP