Saturday, October 17, 2009

DIY Jewelry Display

NavyGuy got me a great jewelry box for Christmas a few years back, but as with everything, my current collection of baubles has outgrown its former home. I can't bear to part with the jewelry box, so I decided to simply supplement the storage.

Photobucket

Pictured above are (almost all) of the materials used in this project. You need: scissors; double-sided Tacky Tape (Walmart); a 12" by 12" piece of scrapbook paper with a cool design; a 12" by 12" cork board (I got mine from Target, with four in a pack for about 5 dollars... they're in the school supplies section); and decorative brads (you can get these at any craft store - they're pictured in better detail below).


Photobucket

First up is to line the entire perimeter of your corkboard with Tacky Tape. Tacky Tape is double-sided, so you'll pull it off the roll, cut the length you need, and then stick it to the corkboard. The second sticky side is hidden by a red vellum layer, which you'll peel off once you're ready to attach your scrapbook paper.

DIY Jewelry Display

See? There I am pulling off the red layer. What you can't see well in the photo, is the sticky strip of tape left behind on the corkboard - trust me, it's there. (Also, gotta love the gratuitous wedding ring shot :)

DIY Jewelry Display

Once you have the red layer removed from all around the cork, you can center your piece of paper above it, and stick the two together. I actually found it easier to turn the paper upside down, then lower the corkboard on to the paper.

DIY Jewelry Display

My paper was slightly bigger than 12x12, so I had a little edge left over once I attached the two. Very simple to fix - just cut the excess paper off the edge.

DIY jewelry

Now, these are the brads I picked out. Brads have two little metal flaps sticking out the back of them; you attach a brad by sticking the flaps through a piece of paper (or whatever material you're working with), and then flattening those two metal flaps outward to hold the brad in place. I chose to use them for the hangers on my jewelry display.

DIY jewelry

Before poking any holes in my cork, I laid out all of the brads to make sure I liked the spacing and general arrangement. I wanted to make sure that the brads were high enough up on the board, leaving room for longer necklaces to hang down.

DIY jewelry

Once I had everything spaced out, I marked each brad with a light pencil mark, and then started pushing them all through, and bending the metal flaps outward. The one catch is not to push the brads right up to the corkboard, because you want to leave a slight gap between the brad and the board where the necklace or bracelet can hang from.

DIY jewelry

And here's the finished project! I'm thrilled with how it turned out - my extra necklaces and bracelets have a place to rest (instead of in a jumble on my dresser), and it'll look cute on the wall.

2 comments:

historygirlie October 18, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

You are so dang clever. I could never think of doing something like that....I always need to see a "model" of something before I get a good idea.

Where did you get the funky red necklace? Loving it.

NatalieW October 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Genius. I'm totally stealing your idea.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP