Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Newlyweds Series: Opposites Attract

In what ways are you and your husband total opposites?

Well...

*NavyGuy loves flying, sailing, boating, and all things involving height, speed, danger, and excitement; I'd rather stay safe on my couch, and have been known to get motion sick if I stand up too fast.

*I would be comfortable spending days all by myself; NavyGuy is physically incapable of being by himself for more than, oh, three hours. I'm not sure he's ever eaten a meal in a restaurant by himself, he calls me when he's driving home from work because he's bored/lonely, and I once left him home alone while I went to a craft night - he texted me 14 times and called three. Bless his little co-dependent heart :)

*NavyGuy likes modern, glass, steel, contemporary design; I am learning to appreciate it, but still think that lace curtains and a traditional white picket fence are dreamy.

*NavyGuy dreams of living in Alaska, crop dusting, moving to Ireland, working on a crab fishing boat, or storm chasing. I dream of Wisconsin, teaching, and him working 9-5 in a safe office.

*I spent most of high school and college studying, doing homework, and generally being a good student, whereas until flight school, NavyGuy thought studying was a complete waste of time and that textbooks were merely to be stacked by one's desk as an ancillary space for setting a water glass or Star Wars figure. (Seriously, there were some trimesters where the textbooks would stay in the bookstore shopping bag the entire term...sorry to rat you out NavyGuy, but do you really think your parents weren't aware of this already?)

For those of you who know us in real life, are there any major things I'm forgetting?

Check out earlier posts from this series:
Age of Marriage
Future Spouse's Looks

5 comments:

ebs handler October 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

ALASKA?!?!? My SIL will drop significantly on my list if that happens. How about movie choices? Don't you two have to beg, cajole, plead, threaten and offer multiple compromises to go to the other's movie choice?

Carlene,  October 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM  

We're very similar (both loners, like indie movies, never study, etc)
*He's from Washington DC, I'm from a country town outside of Pensacola FL
*I listen to whatever's popular on country or Christian radio, he's into bands no one's heard of yet
*His high school/college extracirriculars: sailing, downhill ski team, water ski team, tennis team, DesignBuildFly model airplanes, Student Engineers Council, lacrosse team, the list goes on...My high school/college activites: ballet, baton twirling, Catholic campus ministry

Somehow it works :)

Michelle October 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

I remember that craft class LOL!!

Princess of Ales October 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

There are some major food differences between you. Also, and maybe this isn't true any more, but differing opinions on what constituted "clean." I was going to say movies, too. SERIOUSLY different tastes - not across the board because you both enjoy a good Oscar nominee, but let me just remind you of three things: Top Gun, Hunt for Red October, and Gladiator. Nuf said.

BeerMan and I are different in every possible way. Except we both love food to an obscene amount. We are also die-hard Honda owners, and...nope, that's about it.

Rearden October 22, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

I think a good example is our idea of kitchen cleanliness. I'm obsessive about dishes and cleaning the kitchen, and lets just say NavyGirl isn't quite as much.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP