Friday, October 2, 2009

Fall TV Thoughts

Newbies that I'm Falling For...

*Modern Family - ABC, Wednesday. ABC is touting this as part of their comedy lineup (along with Courtney Cox's Cougar Town, and Kelsey Grammar in yet another sitcom that's no Cheers). I checked out the first two episodes on Hulu.com, and I'm totally hooked. It's sort of similar to the style of The Office, in that it's a situational comedy with uncomfortable humor, and characters talk directly to the camera at times. NavyGuy watched it with me, and was busting out laughing as well - I'd recommend it if you're looking for more comedies to add to your DVR.

*Glee - FOX, Wednesday. Confession - I haven't actually watched this yet... but it comes highly recommended from Sister and HistoryGirlie. And I love the commercials for the show. And I love Jane Lynch. So the plan is to get caught up on this show over the weekend, and officially become a Glee fan (Glee-aholic? Glee-ite?)

Returners That Should Never End...

*The Office - NBC, Thursday. They just keep finding ways to make me laugh and continue the story lines in a believable way. Plus Jim and Pam are getting married next week in what's got to be the most anticipated episode EVER! Check out the awwwww-inducing promo that aired after last night's episode.

*Bones - FOX, Thursday. Booth and Bones can do no wrong.

Shows I've Given Up On...

*Jon and Kate Plus 8 - TLC, Monday. It's just not interesting anymore. The original premise of "how do you logistically raise 8 kids under the age of 5 without losing your mind" was interesting - but that isn't the show anymore. I don't want to watch the kids take field trips while Kate makes veiled comments about photographers and being alone. I don't want to watch Jon being a douche bag. Sorry Gosselins. Your divorce is just to much reality for me.

*Project Runway - Lifetime, Thursday. This one's on the chopping block. I can't put my finger on why this season isn't grabbing me. The contestants? The challenges? A lack of Michael Kors and Nina Garcia on the judging panel? I don't know. I dutifully record it every week and slog through it, but my attention wanders. Anyone else having this feeling about Season 6?

Any thoughts? What shows would you add to the various categories? Any strong counter-arguments to my assessments?

8 comments:

C October 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Good plan with Glee - after even the first episode, you'll be fully hooked.

To add to your list:

Returners that should never end...
*How I Met Your Mother - Neil Patrick Harris is amazing and hilarious. Let's just leave it at that.

Shows I've given up on...
*Grey's Anatomy - this has been a long time coming, as many episodes even from last season made me groan. However, I haven't given up completely, it is just relegated to an 'if I have time to watch whenever' show.

*Brothers and Sisters - what happened to you Calista Flockhart and Rob Lowe?! I don't enjoy your whining on the small screen whatsoever. And if there's one more big family bruhaha at a dinner party, I'm going to throw something at my tv. (And then Brother-in-law will disown me, and I'll REALLY have some problems.)

keby October 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Oh my gosh, NavyGirl, you HAVE to watch Glee. It's perfect for former choir nerds and band dorks!

I also agree with Sister on her list. I heart HIMYM and NPH. I'm still on the fence about Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters. It's like a train wreck I can't turn my eyes away from.

Anonymous,  October 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Yes Yes Yes to Glee!
Yes Yes Yes to Community! - so funny - check it out. It's on on Thursday nights.

I agree on The Office and How I Met Your Mother

Has anyone seen The Big Bang Theory? - also funny.. a dumb kind of funny

Personally, I'm still on the Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters bandwagon... and also the Desperate Housewives and One Tree Hill bandwagon

YoYo

Anonymous,  October 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

I'm with you on Glee and for the record you're now a "Glee-k". There's even shirts you can get!

TWP

Anonymous,  October 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Also, I must say, I'm still on the Project Runaway bandwagon! I heart Heidi and how she sneezes a baby out every year and then gets back on the runaway in her skimpies!

My additions to Returners that should never end:
1) Top Chef...
2) Flipping Out...house flipper with OCD to the millionth power

and my life will never be the same when it ends....LOST!!!!!!!!!!! Back in 2010.

I must also agree with Sister on Grey's. I think I've officially had enough. The plots are just getting too ridiculous and I think they're running out of fellow doctors to hook up with.

TWP

Rearden October 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

I have one word for all of you:

"House"

Best show on TV.

Mrs. Wookie October 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

Agree with Modern Family.

And of course The Office.

Your sister knows what's up with HIMYM. NPH is truly amazing.

And J&K+8, goodbye.

And Community is growing on me. Maybe it's because I went to a CC first before a 4 year. Those people do exist, lol.

Glad to see you're keeping up the blog. Gives me one more thing to do when I come home. And one more Navy pilot to scrounge for when he's deployed.

historygirlie October 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

I've given up on House and Desperate Housewives. I'll have DH on, but I won't be actively watching. And it seems that Monday at 7 isn't a good time period to watch TV. And I don't like 13 and I miss the guy that committed suicide. So it was knocked off the list.

I for one am sticking big time to Bro and Sis. I just love the majority of the characters.

I've allowed myself 4 shows that are a MUST WATCH for me:
*Bro and Sis
*Glee (love it love it!)
*Greys Anatomy
*Bones

Let's chat soon? Let me know ASAP what you think of Glee!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP