Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Will Not Accept This Blasphemy

I know you peeps out in the blogosphere don't know what I sound like. So you'll just have to trust me when I say that I do NOT have an accent. I sound just like any normal midwestern person you hear on the radio or television giving you the weather report. My speech is not peppered with "ehs" or "uf-dahs" or long, misprounced vowels.

So imagine my shock today, when a sophomore who a) knew nothing about me, b) had been in my presence for all of 87 seconds, and c) had barely been listening to me give the directions for her Peter the Great worksheet, thrust her hand into the air, and confidently asked, "Yo, are you from Wisconsin?"

Eh?!?!? Huh?!?! Suh wha?!?!? Oh no she did not just. Turns out this little sophomore is "real good at accents" (but apparently, is not good at grammar), and having listened to me speak for all of 87 seconds, immediately pegged me as a true Wisconsinite. I proudly confirmed my heritage, but could not get over the fact that I was so easily outed! Seriously - people who know me in real life - am I that transparent? (And Miss A, your opinion SOOOOO does not count, as you think anyone east of the Rocky Mountains has an accent.)

Oh, the rest of the sub job was fine. Apparently, Wisconsin still garners some respect around here.

3 comments:

Cheap Wife April 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Maybe is was your "o"?
My friends who are from there, that is the 1st thing that always stands out to me.
Sorry it bugged you :-)

Brooklet April 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

If it makes you feel better, when I first met you I thought you sounded like my family from Ohio. So I pegged you as a midwesterner instantly but I wouldn't know what specific state if you hadn't already known where you were from. You do have an accent...but don't let it bother you. I swear I don't have a Jersey accent but I've been pegged as a Jersey Girl more times than I can count.

Princess of Ales April 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

I can still peg a Wisconsin accent from 2000 miles away, missy. Including a parent I talked to in Colorado yesterday who has not lived in the WI for over twenty years. You may not have any strange sayings - oh, wait...bubbler - but you DEFINITELY do not have regionally neutral diction.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP